Betta Dividing

• Thread starter AmunetDeVawn
  • Start date

AmunetDeVawn

I’m wanting to get different fish I have a 1 male betta. I’m wanting another Betta and I was thinking of dividing my tank in 3 ways giving each section 3 gallons. I was thinking of possibly getting another betta and then maybe some guppies.

BubblesTheBettaFish

That would be fine, although your betta would be happier with at least 5 gallons.
(Edit) I personally keep my betta in a 10 gallon by himself.

Salem

Well Known
I wouldn't add or divide anything until you learn about the nitrogen cycle- it's the most important thing about keeping fish. Adding another betta and multiple guppies would not only overstock your tank but also most likely cause an ammonia spike and kill everything. Plus, guppies tend not to be the best roommates for bettas- the long pretty tail looks like another betta and they will almost always attack them. Also guppies generally do best in small groups in a 10 gallon of their own.

If you want more life in your betta tank I would stick to shrimp or snails.

AmunetDeVawn

Salem said:
I wouldn't add or divide anything until you learn about the nitrogen cycle- it's the most important thing about keeping fish. Adding another betta and multiple guppies would not only overstock your tank but also most likely cause an ammonia spike and kill everything. Plus, guppies tend not to be the best roommates for bettas- the long pretty tail looks like another betta and they will almost always attack them. Also guppies generally do best in small groups in a 10 gallon of their own.

If you want more life in your betta tank I would stick to shrimp or snails.
I am aware of the nitrogen cycle, I have a completely cycled tank with 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. I have 2 snails if I add another betta I will probably only do one fish. I know you can do a betta tank of 10 gallons giving them about 3 g each but with snails the water line is a bit lower so I would most likely only do 1 other betta.

Salem

Well Known
AmunetDeVawn said:
I am aware of the nitrogen cycle, I have a completely cycled tank with 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. I have 2 snails if I add another betta I will probably only do one fish. I know you can do a betta tank of 10 gallons giving them about 3 g each but with snails the water line is a bit lower so I would most likely only do 1 other betta.
0 nitrates is actually concerning and points to the tank not being cycled, what's your ammonia at?

AmunetDeVawn

Salem said:
0 nitrates is actually concerning and points to the tank not being cycled, what's your ammonia at?
Nitrate is near to zero but not exact ammonia is 0 just got it there will be checking it again. This took about a month or 2 in total.

KatLovesCoffee

I think if you divide 3 ways it would be best to do 3 bettas. I think that would be fine. I’ve done that before and had good success.

Even with Endlers, 3 gallons would be small, in my opinion. I would not house guppies in that setup.

Top Bottom