Betta Disease

LowieTheLoach

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My Petco has gotten consistently better. I've noticed newer, more knowledgeable employees since that fish died. I did end up returning that betta, but I got one of the good employees who knew about fish. I still stay away from the bettas though. All of the fish I've gotten since have done pretty well.

I actually used the opportunity to redo the entire tank and it's sort of a QT tank at the moment. I'm still letting the plants grow in but I think Santa will be getting me some chili rasboras as new permanent residents. This is the tank at the moment:

Attachments

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A lot of employees don't know what their store's policies are and don't like being called out on it, regardless of their appearance. I find it useful to open the store policies on the phone when employees have doubts. If they refuse to honor store policy then their manager or supervisor will when I request one. I try to be cordial about it from the get-go though, the saying you win more flies with honey is true, and it's just not healthy to be upset over these things. We're all human, we all make mistakes.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wrong thread.

LowieTheLoach

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I completely agree! It makes a huge difference on how you approach the situation. Petco is my closest store with fish, but I've since developed a good relationship with the people in the fish department. In fact, had a really fun conversation on their filtration last time I was there. Leaps and bounds of improvement. The right employees can make all the difference. Having fish keepers in the fish department makes a world of difference.

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just from my experience, the Petcos tend to have better fish sections than Petsmart. The employees tend to be hobbyists themselves and can be actually quite pleasant to chat with. Most of the bettas in the cups usually have clean water and don't look totally dead.

I will agree that bettas, and fish from stores in general, are still a total gamble. I've bought 3 bettas in the past year, all from Petsmart... one got fungus and died within a week of purchase, Foosh lasted a school year but had persistent problems and fin rot that just kept coming back no matter what I did (might've just been his veiltail genes honestly), and the latest one, Nier, seems to be perfectly happy and healthy with no issues to speak of. He was a real steal too... I've seen black crowntails like him at small LFS's for forty freakin' dollars, while he didn't cost me more than $10 at most.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom