Betta Disease Id?

1. PraptiPanda

PraptiPanda Valued Member Member

This is a pretty long post, sorry :p
    So I just rescued this crowntail betta last night from my lfs who had apparently forgotten that they even stock them. He was in really filthy water- literally swimming in his own waste more than water- in a shipping packet! So I asked the employee how long the fish had been there and he said a month! A month in the about 30 ml filthy water without food!
    I couldn't just leave him there, and I always wanted a crowntail so I brought him home and put him in my 1 gallon qt bucket with 2 juvie rabbit snails. Please see- Betta Fish Story

Temps here are pretty warm(I'm in the tropics), so he gets along without a heater just fine. First thing I noticed was his eyes were a little weak and he doesn't flare. Secondly, his fins are fine- no fin rot. But when I shone a flashlight at him, I could see golden glinting around his gills- he also has gold dust along his body, but that's just his colouring. Can it be velvet or gill flukes?
    Also, his gills open and close rather rapidly, but he doesn't 'flash' other than squirming at his reflection occasionally. He also has a great appetite- he ate bloodworms in a flash and even picked at the piece of pea I threw in for the snails.
    So, my question here is - does he have velvet? And around his gills you can see red gashes- ammonia poisoning? He has really settled in and blowing bubble nests everywhere and zooming around in the tank.
    I've already put in some indian almond leaves in his tank (which has cabomba and some rotala) and am doing 50% wc daily. And insight about his condition is appreciated!
    Note- Pics were taken after just putting him in the bucket. After he's healed, he'll go in a divided 12g tank with my other betta.
    @Bruxes and Bubbles @tunafax @KinsKicks @BottomDweller please help!

IMG_20170802_171213.jpg
    IMG_20170802_171349.jpg

2. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

There may be some gill irritation there, and I'm not sure if that's a wound behind his eye or what. But for being in 30ml of water for a month it's amazing he survived at all.

I think I'd just give him clean water daily, maybe 60% because the bucket is so small, and wait and see. He's doubtless suffering from the pollution he was in. I can't definitively say there's anything else wrong with him, and if there are secondary problems they may go away of their own accord with clean water and food as his immune system builds.

That's just my opinion, though.

3. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

Can you turn the lights off in the room and take a picture of him with flash on? That's usually the best way to see if it's velvet or not. The issue with his gills appears to be ammonia burns from sitting in his own waste for months. I think water changes should help with that, but if he has velvet you're going to need to medicate him.

4. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I would use aquarium salt for a few days because of that gash. It would also help if he had velvet. If it does turn out to be velvet, you will not be able to do the salt treatment because of the temperature required. You would have to go the medication route.
    I don't think he was actually in that bag for a month. While they can go a long time without food, that's quite a period and he wouldn't be looking as good as he does.
    Good luck with your guy. Can't wait to see how he improves.

5. BReefer97

I didn't change the temperature at all when treating my betta for velvet? Are you sure you don't mean ich? Because all I did was treat my betta fish with malachite green and he was velvet free in about 2 weeks. It's also believed you need to keep the tank on darkness, but you don't.

6. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, she would have to go that route. The other treatment is salt, increased temperature and darkness. Some people don't like using malachite green, basic green, victoria green, whatever you want to call it. If it turns out to be velvet, she will need to look for a product with that in it or Kordon's Copper-Aid but I don't think that is available everywhere.

7. OP
    OP
    PraptiPanda

PraptiPanda Valued Member Member

These pictures were taken with a flashlight on, and the main lights off. This is all the golden sheen that appears to be on him. Is it velvet?

I live in a pretty remote area and have no access to malachite green or methylene blue or other such medications - but I can get some aquarium salt.

8. BReefer97

I can't see really any velvet from the pictures, but they're a bit too bright to really be sure. Velvet is hard to diagnose. I was told that putting the tank in darkness has no effect on the velvet. It thrives in light when it's free floating, but once it's already attached to your fish - it's not really going to do anything. I don't believe salt would help either as I treated my betta that had velvet for fin rot with salt before the treatment of malachite green and it had no effect on the velvet. I've also never heard of increasing the temperature of the tank. I just did a water change and followed the directions malachite green and it cleared it up. Threw my cycle off, but you should treat it a quarantine tank anyways :) but this is just all information I was given a few months ago and has worked for me!