Betta died

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by NickW, Jun 26, 2016.

1. N

NickW New Member Member

Hi all

I'm a beginner fish keeper and discovered my betta died overnight. He was in the tank with 4 mollies.

I've got a filter setup with biohome and all the neccesary media.

The tank has been set up about 3 and and half weeks.

I do 40% ish water changes every 3 days as I know my cycle hasn't complete yet. The water is treated to remove chlorine and chloramine and such.

I feed every other day with tropical fish flakes.

I never saw any aggression between the betta and the mollies so I'm unsure if he's been bullied to death.

The other mollies seem fine at the moment. They're swimming about happily.

https://vimeo.com/172279317

I'm new to this.. any ideas?

Here's some photos of Bill. Can you shed any light on the causes of his death?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

What size tank?

Do you know what the water parameters were/are?

3. OP
    OP
    N

NickW New Member Member

Hi. It's a 10 gallon tank. I understand that this is probably on the small side for mollies. But I didn't realise this until after the man in the shop sold me them!!

I have a test kit on order. So until it arrives I've been doing those big regular water changes.

4. Grimund

Well, I can only make assumptions at this junction.

10 gallons doesn't even house a single molly because of the small volume of water compared to waste production. They belong in 20 gallons and more.

Think of it this way: 0.25 gallons of oil in 1.00 gallons of water is a lot of oil in comparison to the same 0.25 gallons of oil in 100.00 gallons of water. It's more concentrated in the smaller volume than in the larger.

Mollies produce a great deal of waste, they are very high contributors to the bioload (amount of waste produced in total). The waste transitions into ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are very toxic to fish.

The cycling process allows bacteria to grow in order to process these compounds to all zero, consuming them as they are produced. These bacteria reproduce quite slowly and have a difficult time converting high levels waste until they catch up. The amount of waste produced probably created an excess of ammonia and or nitrites that couldn't be consumed right away.

Too much ammonia actually inhibits the growth of the bacteria, which may have lead to a stall in the cycle, a point where bacteria stop or slowly (more than normal) multiply.

My guess is that your betta was poisoned with ammonia or nitrites.

I would recommend upgrading the tank, or rehoming the mollies. In the mean time, large water changes (50-75%) daily, but start with a back to back large change to get your numbers down.

If you have any questions, please ask. Fish keeping is a lot more involved than people first realize, but it shouldn't be seen as a deterrent. Learning is very daunting when there can be a lot to learn in multiple subjects.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  5. OP
    OP
    N

NickW New Member Member

Thanks grimund. I will start doing daily changes. I don't have a lot of cash so I'm trying to find a tank on the cheap!

I'm very annoyed at the shop who told me to get 4 mollies.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
  6. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Check craigslist. Another good option is look for the $1 per gallon sale which happens at Petco from time to time. You could even call and see when their next one is going to be held.

Sorry about your Betta :(

7. OP
    OP
    N

NickW New Member Member

I'm based in the UK unfortunately!

8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Have a look on Gumtree or a local sales/swap Facebook page.

9. Grimund

I'd follow Coradee's advice. I couldn't help with anything outside I'd the US.

I know how you feel, my budget is slim, too.

It happens. Most times it's them not actually knowin better

10. OP
    OP
    N

NickW New Member Member

I've just ordered the api master test kit. I'm starting to think maybe I accidentally injured the betta when I was gravel cleaning... I suppose I'll never know :(

11. Grimund

Look. Things happen. It's life.

12. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Why do you think your tank isn't cycled?

13. OP
    OP
    N

NickW New Member Member

It's only been 3 weeks... could it be cycled in that time? I did add a lot of bacteria balls and a squirt of some bacteria too. I use biohome ultra in my filter too which is meant to be good

14. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes it only takes 20-60 days to cycle your tank. Did the beta have any outer body signs? Like ich or anything? Was he eating?

15. OP
    OP
    N

NickW New Member Member

He was eating yep. His coat looked glossy. No fins bitten and seemed to get on well the the mollies. I did notice the night before he died that he seemed to be struggling to grab his food. But I may be wrong. He could be quite fussy

16. jhigg008

What temp was the tank kept at?

17. OP
    OP
    N

NickW New Member Member

Around 25c

18. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Are you close enough to a pet shop that you can run a sample of water over to them to test? Might help.

But like Grimund said, these things happen sometimes and there's nothing anyone could have done. The way bettas are bred and handled these days he could have had something wrong internally.

I'm really sorry for your loss x

19. OP
    OP
    N

NickW New Member Member

Thanks. It might just be one of those things. The mollies look perfectly fine and I know they aren't as hardy as bettas. My wife rescued the betta from a wedding where they used them as table decorations!! No idea what his history was before then.

I have an api master test kit on the way so I will be testing as soon as it's herr

20. jhigg008

Table decorations?????? Wow....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice