Question Betta Died. What Happened?

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My king betta was just found at the bottom of the tank, dead, and covered in snails. I am testing the water as we speak but historically this year old tank has been stable. I did make a recent change in adding a bunch of little pink ramshorn snails. So far:

Temp 76
Ph 8.2 (I know, but it comes out of the tap like this)

I am waiting on the other tests.

I just want to learn from this guys. I’ve had a string of bad luck lately with fish and I really want to head off any more problems.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40

Nitrate is a little high yes, and it’s water change day today, but I wouldn’t think 40 would kill a betta.

Last edited by a moderator:

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It might kill a weak betta but otherwise, your betta should have been fine (though I guess it really is up to luck). Giants/Kings also have a lower immune system than other bettas from what I've heard, so there is a chance it was.

Do snails typically go for dead fish as food? I'm gonna follow this, since I also have a giant and want to avoid this with mine just in case. Whatever it is. :/

OP
Sheldon13

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He has not shown any signs of illness. He was happy and interactive yesterday and ate like a champ.

LayneeFritz

Reaction score
What were you feeding him? And approximately how old was he? How was he behaving in the recent days leading up to his death? What was the temp of your tank? And did you suspect he was sick or had maybe fallen ill? Also you are right, nitrates of 40 would not kill a betta. It could’ve possibly weakened him though. Was there anything else going on that may have been stressful for him? A bunch of little issues can all come together to make a bigger one. But I’m a little baffled by this. Answer those questions and maybe I’ll be able to identify an issue that might have occurred. and I’m very sorry for your loss.

OP
Sheldon13

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What were you feeding him?
Feeding many different things. What he had the day before death was grindal worms. Sometimes he gets betta pellet, cichlid pellets, bkackworm pellets, or daphnia

Approximately how old was he?
I purchased him approximately 2 months ago

How was he behaving in the recent days leading up to his death?
Completely normal. Very energetic and affectionate through the glass.

What was the temp of your tank?

Did you suspect he was sick or had maybe fallen ill?
Not at all. Shocked the heck out of me.

Was there anything else going on that may have been stressful for him?
The only change was the addition of the pink snails.

As suggested above, is it possible he choked on one?

Or maybe he was older than thought?

Or maybe it was a fluke, a genetic thing?

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there a possibility that there could have been something toxic that got into the tank?

Anyone else living there that could have put something in that wasn't supposed to be there?

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know there are also some diseases that people here have mentioned that cause sudden death. I'm not too familiar with diseases, so maybe someone else can weigh in on that? I think columnaris is one of the ones I've seen listed for that?

OP
Sheldon13

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there a possibility that there could have been something toxic that got into the tank?

Anyone else living there that could have put something in that wasn't supposed to be there?
No possibility of any products getting in. I live upstairs and my roommate never comes up here.

What are the symptoms of columnaris?

LayneeFritz

Reaction score
What were you feeding him?
Feeding many different things. What he had the day before death was grindal worms. Sometimes he gets betta pellet, cichlid pellets, bkackworm pellets, or daphnia

Approximately how old was he?
I purchased him approximately 2 months ago

How was he behaving in the recent days leading up to his death?
Completely normal. Very energetic and affectionate through the glass.

What was the temp of your tank?

Did you suspect he was sick or had maybe fallen ill?
Not at all. Shocked the heck out of me.

Was there anything else going on that may have been stressful for him?
The only change was the addition of the pink snails.

As suggested above, is it possible he choked on one?

Or maybe he was older than thought?

Or maybe it was a fluke, a genetic thing?

I do not think he would attempt to consume a snail. Maybe something like food though. Do you normally watch him eat after you put the food in the tank? If so, I don’t see how that could be the cause of death either. And as to how old he was, that’s hard to determine in betta. Sometimes size can say how old a betta is, but not always.

Where did you purchase him from? And was the tank cycled before you put him in? How often were you feeding him? Prolapsed bowels could be a possibility. Rich foods being fed too often can cause this. Also, it would have most likely been clear that he had columnaris. The symptoms are obvious and are very visible when a fish has picked it up. There would’ve most likely been grayish-white patches on the head or around the gills and on the fins. And if he was perky and energetic leading up to this, the possibility of it being columnaris is little to none. He would have, instead, been lethargic.

It had to have been something quick and out of the blue. How are your other fish doing? Have any fish died since he has passed or before he passed? I suspect this could’ve had something to do with the kind of food you fed him and how often he was eating it. Or maybe he consumed something he wasn’t supposed to and had a blockage in his intestines or anus and wasn’t able to pass it. This would be a quick and irreversible fate.

OP
Sheldon13

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you normally watch him eat after you put the food in the tank? Oh yes. One of the best times to watch!

Where did you purchase him from?
Petco

Was the tank cycled before you put him in?
Year old tank. Well established cycle.

How often were you feeding him?
Once daily

How are your other fish doing?
Have any fish died since he has passed or before he passed?
Everyone else is doing fine. The other inhabitants are various snails, ember tetras, and a mini crayfish.

I didn’t see any discoloring around the gills. In fact he looked normal except his tummy was a little bigger than usual, but I felt it and it was nice and soft so I don’t think there was an impaction.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom