Betta Deteriorating Fast - Help!!

Sarahbeth100

Reaction score
4800BF97-F6B9-480B-8DD9-D0D38F6DE4D2.jpeg
34C1E12F-E2DA-4645-99B3-C11EB00F83ED.jpeg
1DBC7D5D-6638-41A8-980A-24A74BDF5A82.jpeg
Here are my tank parameters:

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 1 gallon tank - I’ve since learned this is way too small!
How long has the tank been running? - 2 months
Does it have a filter? - yes
Does it have a heater? - yes
What is the water temperature? - 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) - 1 make betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 25-30% changes weekly, but have been doing 50% daily the last 2 days
How much of the water do you change? - see above
What do you use to treat your water? Betta conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? - yes, I use a turkey baster every 2-3 days to clean out old poop and food from the gravel

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
What do you use to test the water? API Test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0 - .25 ppm (just got a test kit yesterday)
Nitrite: Not tested
Nitrate: Not Tested
pH: 7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Nightly
How much do you feed your fish? 3 pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Top fin betta bits
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? - 2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? - been getting worse for the last 2-3 weeks and started laying on the bottom last week
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Fins rotting away, not eating, laying at bottom of tank and not active at all. He also seems to have a hard time moving the back of his body when he swims.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes, methylene blue baths daily last 3 days and daily water changes
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Color faded, not active, fins much smaller

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

My daughter has a betta that we’ve have for about 2 months. We went on vacation for 10 days and had a neighbor watching it for us. While we were gone he apparently got stuck in the filter for 2-3 days before they noticed he was in there and got him out. It’s been about 3 weeks since that happened and he’s been pretty sick and getting worse. I’ve given him a daily methylene blue bath for the last 3 days but he’s started the mostly lay on the bottom of the tank. I’ve also ordered API furan 2 and kanaplex but they won’t be here for another few days. I’m aware his tank is too small and that is probably why we have an ammonia issue. I changed 50% of the water last night and by today the water was back to .25ppm when I tested it again. I’ve also attached a few pictures. She loves the fish and I hope we can save him but I’m not sure what else I can do.

Alan1988

Reaction score
We need to know the nitrite and nitrate readings too. Sounds like fin rot if the fins are deteriorating like that. Fin rot is totally curable I'm just worried it may be to late. Is he still eating?

OP
S

Sarahbeth100

Reaction score
I can work on getting something to test nitrates and nitrite as well. He’s not eating as far as I can tell. Sometimes he seems to be picking at things in the gravel but I don’t think he’s eating.

Alan1988

Reaction score
A small dose of aquarium salt might hold him over until the medicine arrives. Salt has healing properties. Just don't over do it and follow the directions. I'm worried since he has quit eating, but I had a firemouth do the same thing and went days without eating, but now he is fine. Just mine was in a 75 gallon tank and yours is in a tank that is.to small. Not to be mean. That is all I can think to do. Sounds like you have done your best and best of luck.

OP
S

Sarahbeth100

Reaction score
Yes, after he got sick and doing the research I have learned it is way too small. We’ll get him a bigger one and I can try the aquarium salt too.

Alan1988

Reaction score
Look into the apI freshwater master test kit. Best water test kit imo. Tests everything and lasts forever too!

OP
S

Sarahbeth100

Reaction score
Ok, I’ll look for that as well. I have the ammonia API test kit already and it seems to work great. I tested our tap water with it just to be sure! Do you think from the pictures his fin rot is severe? It doesn’t look like it’s spread to his body but I don’t know if it’s something that’s treatable or if it’s gotten too bad at this point.

Alan1988

Reaction score
Its treatable. I've seen fish be hours from dieing and come back with proper maintenance and medications. Its fins are pretty deteriorated but his body looks fine which is good. I'm just worried about him being so lathargic and not eating. Fish live to eat and if he has got to the point that eating to sustain his own life then it's kinda severe. I'm so sorry about this about it happens to every fish keeper and nothing to beat yourself up over.

OP
S

Sarahbeth100

Reaction score
I just feel so bad for him, and my daughter loves him, she will be so sad if he dies. I wish I had noticed earlier...I’m worried the 2 days he spent inside the filter did him in. I should have paid closer attention to him but he was acting normal so I thought he survived the ordeal! Hopefully he can hang on for the meds. Furan 2 will be here tomorrow but it was hard to come by Kanaplex and that won’t be here for a week. I’m going to do my best to keep his take as clean as possible until we can treat him. Thanks for the help!

New Threads