Betta death symptoms Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by rattyhatty, Mar 23, 2010.

1. rattyhatty

rattyhatty New Member Member

Hi all.

I had a female betta who recently died. She was living in a filtered divided 5.5 gallon tank with a spray bar return that delivered water to both sides as well as filter intakes on bothsides. On saturday I noticed she was very pale, and she was showing greatly laboured breathing. I had performed my usual bi-weekly water change 2 days earlier. Tank temperature was 26c.
    In the chaos of rushing to be somewhere soon I accidently sucked her up with my syphon as I was doing an emergency water change...That did not kill her, but I assume it contributed to her eventual death later in the day.
    I'm not sure how old she was when I got her 3 months ago, but she has always been a very attentive and active fish.

I suspect a nitrate spike may have been a possible reason for all this, but unfortunatley in my hurry I didn't have time to test the water. My male betta in the other division showed no symptoms and is just the same as always.

Any contributions you can offer for reasons would be appreciated :)

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww im sorry for the loss of your girl.....testing for ammonia/nitrites as well as nitrates is needed....it would take a ton of nitrates to kill her but I guess anything is possible

3. OP
    OP
    rattyhatty

Water quality is what I suspect, just like in most fish deaths. Also, like I said, I don't know how old she was when I bought her. For all I know she could have been 2-3 years old. She was in a quite large community tank at the LFS I got her from, and as you would know females are not really all that popular compared to the boys...

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry to read about your Betta loss RattyHatty :(

Ken

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry.

6. G

GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear that you lost your fish.
    RIP little betta.

7. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Im sorry for your loss. Ummm, I heard on the radio that the citys in my area are flushing their systems this saturday so I have made sure all water changes are done before then. It will be a few days after that I'll be able to use the water for my fish. Maybe your local water treatment plant flushed their lines with chemicals.

8. OP
    OP
    rattyhatty

I use rain water. I live in the country and don't have municipal water.

9. pamd

pamd Well Known Member Member

It definitely doesn't sound like unintentional neglect or due to the accident, since the accident happened after the paling incident. She was already dying. Not your fault. Probably she was weak when you got her.

Sometimes bettas die of things beyond our control, no matter how much we love and care for them.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Ratty.

10. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

RIP little one!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice