Question Betta death...again? I don't understand

Cherie G

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HI everyone,
I am so sad and frustrated this morning. :( I have lost another betta and am at a total loss as to what is going on. Water parameters are great, ammonia 0ppm, nitrates 0ppm and nitrates 5-10 ppm. I test once a week right before my weekly water change and never see any ammonia or nitrites. Water temp 78-80 & nothing new added to the aquarium. He was fine and then 4-5 days ago he started hanging out at the bottom more but was still eating great and swimming up to the glass when he saw me. Night before last he stayed at the bottom even more and would not eat, did not seem to be struggling to breath or anything but gill area seemed a bit swollen but were not red. Well when I checked on him in the morning he had died. I just don't know what is going on, this is the second fish I have lost with almost the identical scenerio. I waited about a week between fish and did a 30% water change before I got this last fish. I am giving up on bettas, just don't want to take the chance since there seems to be something wrong in this tank. Anyone have any ideas? I feel so bad because I feel like I must just be missing something. I have kept bettas successfully in the past so not sure what to think. Also not having any problems in my 29 gallon tank so don't think it is a water issue. Thanks in advance for the help.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could be a sickness from the first one since you didnt change anything but some water. You could try nuking it with peroxide. That would kill any bacteria off and give you a fresh start without tearing the tank apart.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
Could be a sickness from the first one since you didnt change anything but some water. You could try nuking it with peroxide. That would kill any bacteria off and give you a fresh start without tearing the tank apart.
I assume this would kill all the good bacteria too so a new cycle would be required. Probably could happen quickly with seed material from other tank.

Would live plants survive the peroxide treatment? If not, could they be saved? Or would they be a potential host of the disease that killed the Bettas?

OP
Cherie G

Cherie G

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for all the feed back. I did wonder that if there was some sort of illness or parasite left from the first fish but was told that after a week nothing like that would survive without a host. Looks like maybe that is not the case. Maybe I will bleach dip the plants and look into the peroxide thing for the tank and then re-cycle. I do have a nerite snail in there that I do not want to harm but would be afraid of putting it in my 29 gallon. Well I have some research to do. Thanks again!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just put your snail in a cup or small container for 8 hours till the peroxide breaks down. If your going peroxide you don't need to bleach your plants since both peroxide and bleach basically do the same thing.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom