Betta Dark Spots

Alon Dycian

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey guys,

about a week ago I got a new Betta, and up till yesterday he was pretty inactive. Today he finally started swimming around more, but he developed some black spots/dents on his head (they look like small wounds or holes where scales should be). He's being kept in an 8 gallon tank that i started with water and a filter sponge from my active community tank, both at 78 degrees.

today
20170413_191409.jpg

yesterday
20170411_214627.jpg

Does anybody know what this could be and how to treat it?

Jnx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you sure they're not just dark scales? Many of my bettas have markings like this.

Alon Dycian

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It never even crossed my mind that it might be a natural change, but wouldn't the scales change color in that case rather than "shed"? if you look at the picture from today you'll see it looks like a dent or a hole...
Then again, he has been WAY more active today, so maybe it's just a result of him getting used to the tank and being less stressed.

meyowmeow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It never even crossed my mind that it might be a natural change, but wouldn't the scales change color in that case rather than "shed"? if you look at the picture from today you'll see it looks like a dent or a hole...
Then again, he has been WAY more active today, so maybe it's just a result of him getting used to the tank and being less stressed.
That IS a good question but unfortunately I do not know the answer. Here is a link talking about the color change - maybe this will help?
Betta’s Head Changing Color | Fish Care

Jnx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I honestly don't know, but I do know I've wondered the same thing and it did turn out to be a colour change. They really do go through quite dramatic colour changes when they acclimate. Perhaps they shed the old scales and grow new ones? I haven't done comprehensive research.

Alon Dycian

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I guess for now there's nothing to do really other than to wait and see, but thanks!

Jnx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I guess for now there's nothing to do really other than to wait and see, but thanks!
If his demeanor is appropriate, just try to not to worry, and watch for signs of stress.

Edit to clarify: If he were mine, I would assume it was new scale growth, and just watch him. Also, I had a plakat who was missing a scale due to injury when I purchased him. Usually, when a scale is lost, they form a visible injury/bubble. Your guy sincerely looks normal to me.

Anybody else have more definitive knowledge?

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom