Betta Dark Spots

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Alon Dycian, Apr 13, 2017.

1. A

Alon Dycian New Member Member

Hey guys,

about a week ago I got a new Betta, and up till yesterday he was pretty inactive. Today he finally started swimming around more, but he developed some black spots/dents on his head (they look like small wounds or holes where scales should be). He's being kept in an 8 gallon tank that i started with water and a filter sponge from my active community tank, both at 78 degrees.

today
    20170413_191409.jpg

yesterday
    20170411_214627.jpg

Does anybody know what this could be and how to treat it?

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeow Valued Member Member

I came across this thread while searching for answers for you:
    Black spots on head..?
    From what I read blue betta commonly change color like this. Maybe @junebug can help on this one?

3. Jnx

Jnx Valued Member Member

Are you sure they're not just dark scales? Many of my bettas have markings like this.

4. OP
    OP
    A

It never even crossed my mind that it might be a natural change, but wouldn't the scales change color in that case rather than "shed"? if you look at the picture from today you'll see it looks like a dent or a hole...
    Then again, he has been WAY more active today, so maybe it's just a result of him getting used to the tank and being less stressed.

5. meyowmeow

meyowmeow Valued Member Member

That IS a good question but unfortunately I do not know the answer. Here is a link talking about the color change - maybe this will help?

6. Jnx

Jnx Valued Member Member

I honestly don't know, but I do know I've wondered the same thing and it did turn out to be a colour change. They really do go through quite dramatic colour changes when they acclimate. Perhaps they shed the old scales and grow new ones? I haven't done comprehensive research.

7. OP
    OP
    A

I guess for now there's nothing to do really other than to wait and see, but thanks!

8. Jnx

Jnx Valued Member Member

If his demeanor is appropriate, just try to not to worry, and watch for signs of stress.

Edit to clarify: If he were mine, I would assume it was new scale growth, and just watch him. Also, I had a plakat who was missing a scale due to injury when I purchased him. Usually, when a scale is lost, they form a visible injury/bubble. Your guy sincerely looks normal to me.

Anybody else have more definitive knowledge?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice