Betta Cruelty at Pet Stores!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was at a LFS yesterday getting some more frozen bloodworms and I walked over to the betta section. I was glad to see that they weren't in little cups but they were in 1/2 gallon bowls which still isn't good but it's better than the cups. But then on closer inspection of the bettas one of them had a horrible white fungus on it head and was starting to spread to the rest of its body and another one had what looked like ICH except the white stuff was more stringy than like dots. I felt so bad for those two bettas! And they were beautiful too.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's sad to see an actual Pet store doesn't care how healthy their fish look.

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sometime it is because they have staff who couldn't care less.
Sadly, not everyone are passion about their job.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Uhhhhh, why is it assumed that they dont care?? there were 2 sick fish

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There were two sick bettas out of 6 and one was dead so only 3 of the bettas were actually healthy. The pet store should care about their fish and how they present them if they want to make a sale. And the other fish were in extremely bad conditions. They had 6 medium sized oscars in a 10 gallon!

Last edited:

Tys15

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There were two sick bettas out of 6 and one was dead so only 3 of the bettas were actually healthy. The pet store should care about their fish and how they present them if they want to make a sale.
Do you know if the fish were being medicated? It's possible they were, the pet store I work at doesn't have enough room for moving all the sick fish around so we medicate them right where they are and put a little blue sticker that let's people know they're sick...

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They had 6 medium sized oscars in a 10 gallon!
I've never been to a LFS that actually had their fish in what would be considered a proper size tank, have you? There's no way they can do it! Just no feasible way. They'd have to cut their stock by a huge percent, just so they could present the fish properly. Ain't happening.

If I see a sick fish, I call a rep of the LFS over and ask them what they're doing to treat it. That way I know for sure what happens at that particular store. If you don't ask, you're really just assuming.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with the others. 1/2 gallons is okay, in my opinion, for bettas in temporary housing, as long as their bowls are being maintained properly. And really, you don't know if those bettas were being ignored. One of my LFSs also treats sick fish in the showroom. Would it really make it that much better for you if they moved sick fish to a back room so that you didn't see them? That wouldn't mean that the fish weren't getting ill. Or is your issue that the fish were sick at all? Because you don't know if the fish came to the store that way from the supplier.

You have to keep in mind that when a fish store stocks, those fish are only there for a short time. They cannot feasibly stock a tank the same way you would at home.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was just a little sad about seeing the sick bettas especially since I love bettas but I was just kinda mad when I saw it and probably treated the store a little unfairly. I know it is difficult for stores to actually put fish in a proper size tanks and it is only a temporary arrangement. This store does have a lot of products that are dirt cheap but personally I would never buy a live animal there but I should have thought it through before I posted this thread about the betta thing I was just kinda angry especially since one of them was almost completely covered in a white fungus but for all I know the bettas could have been medicated

Last edited:

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've never been to a LFS that actually had their fish in what would be considered a proper size tank, have you?
I actually have but it is strictly an aquarium store and the staff is super knowledgeable and they have every kind of fish there! I love going there and it is really, really big! Even though it would be nice to have all the pet stores be like them it would be impossible

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cruelty was also too strong of a word. What is really betta cruelty is how my dad (when he was a teenager) used to buy bettas and fight them with his brothers and friends!!!

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Whaaaaaatttt????? I guess that must be a guy thing, cuz I have NEVER had a desire to do that . . . . . . .

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would think that a teenager would know better than to do something like that.I guess they are still just goofy kids though

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
16 year old joins the thread - no betta fighting here

Just about the oscars, just remember it's for sale purposes, my professional LFS has about 10 JDs and 10 Green terrors in one of their tanks, probbly about a 15G, but remember the fish are likely to be sold with in a couple of weeks, so its not so bad

bettawaters

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Whenever im in a pet shop and i point out an illness of a fish to the shopkeeper,they say 'Oh, they dont usually do that'.P.S.i have never seen abetta in a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom