Betta Could Be Very Sick Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Cowboikid, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Cowboikid

CowboikidNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    So I have 3 bettas all in different tanks, and my oldest Betta Ghost that I will have for a year in Feb is acting very different. He is usually fairly energetic he likes being close to the heater, usually on top of it and swimming in and out of his floating log. For the past 2 weeks He has been on the bottom of the tank eating very little to nothing at all, he will swim around every once in a while, but for the most part he has been in his logs or on the bottom.

So to start off with I tested the water it was all good minus the pH so I bought some pH down from pet smart and used it as directed to lower the pH balance of the water. It really didn't have much of an effect.

So then I assumed it was something else with the water and over 4 days I replaced half of the water with distilled water that tested perfectly. Still it has had no effect on him. I did notice however that his fins are looking better since the water change. However he is still at the bottom of the tank.

Next, I thought maybe the water is too cold for him, considering that it is winter and all, so I turned up the temp to 78-79 just a little before the 80 mark.

lastly I have been looking into his behavior because I am scared it may be a disease of some sort. I just can't properly diagnose him with something. Due to the previous condition of his fins I feel it is safe to assume that it may be a bacterial disease, so I bought some medicine to Treat for bacterial infections. The issue is that it's going to take a few more day to get here so i'm scared that he may pass in the time.

A little more information about the situation Ghost lives in a 10 gallon tank that is open he has a heater, and a filter, there are 2 live plants in the tank, and a snail. He doesn't have any swelling or bloating, and hasn't seemed to lose much weight as his flanks are basically the same size as before he was sick. there are no open wounds or discolorations to his body or fins. there is no scale loss or discoloration. His gills are black on the tips, but they've been like that since I got him.
    Any help at all would be appreciated. I live alone and I'm not allowed to have pets besides fish. these fish are my only companionship, and the reason I get out of bed in the morning. I love my fish as most people love there dogs if I could take them to a vet I would in a heart beat. Please someone help I am worried sick that I am going to lose my little man. If pictures are needed I will provide them.

2. Addie42

Addie42Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,366
    post a pic of ghost and his tank please

3. akcarroll12

akcarroll12Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +143
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I’m sorry he is not feeling great. Can you send pics? I wouldn’t add any meds until you are certain what he has. Bettas typically live to be 5 years old in right conditions which he seems to have so it’s not from old age.

4. OP
    OP
    Cowboikid

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    uploading now

5. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,416
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The ph chemicals aren't a good thing they can cause swings. Distilled water again not good. It doesn't have the minerals fish need in it. Petsmart advice is usually very poor. How often are you doing water changes?

6. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I’m sorry to hear he isn’t doing well. I understand what its like to care deeply for a fish. It’s so rough when you can’t even figure out what is going on.

Can you elaborate on his fins? You said his fins looked better after the water change, but i didn’t see anything describing what about them looked bad.

Here are some questions that may help shed light on what is wrong with him.

How heavy is the filter flow? If the current is too strong, he may be tired. What do you feed him, and how often? Have you checked your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

7. OP
    OP
    Cowboikid

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    you'll notice right off the bat there are some discolorations on the top of the tank those are hard water stains, and I have scrubbed and scrubbed them, but they will not go away. He was sitting his log, and really didn't wan to come out. if needed I will remove him from the log for some pictures. You'll also notice that when he laying inside the log he is actually on his side. 20181230_185035.20181230_185124.20181230_185156.20181230_184949.

8. OP
    OP
    Cowboikid

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    His fins and tail were staring to fray at their ends, and are now looking better as if they were mending. I wouldn't say the flow is too strong from the filter if he gets right in front of the filter it will push him away, but as for anywhere else in the tank he fine, i've also had this filter from the start of this tank, and he's been fine other than the fins up to this point. I feed him Nat Geo brand tropical fish flakes roughly a 1 finger pinch every night when I get home from work. and the only other level that was out of balance was the water hardness the color wasn't even on the scale, that is what tipped me off to switch to gallons of distilled water.

9. OP
    OP
    Cowboikid

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    Here are reference pictures of ghost when he was well you will see what I mean about his fins in these picture. 20181004_230724.20181004_230906.

10. OP
    OP
    Cowboikid

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    I still am in need to help, people requested pictures, and asked for details to which I have provided with no replies. If there is anyone out there that can help me please I am desperate.
    Do I need medicine? Do I need to remove and clean everything in his tank? what Do I need to do please some Help.

11. The_fishy

The_fishyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hi, do you have an updated picture? Has his behavior changed at all?

One of the best things for a sick fish is frequent small water changes. I use spring water in my tanks (it’s easier to keep the parameters stable when I need to travel with them). Tap water is fine too if the readings for it are okay and you treat with a dechlorinator if you have city/town water. I have well water, but it is extremely hard and my inverts don’t react well to it. To clean hard water stains, you can use a bit of white vinegar, but be careful to not get it in the tank while you have animals/water in it.

12. ComradeM

ComradeMValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    My sympathies for your fish’s illness. The same happened to me on this forum, btw, which was requests for water conditions and photos, but not much actual help. I had to research what to do elsewhere. In the meantime, my betta became more ill. I started giving mine methylene blue dips for 20 seconds, and he is initially drowsy, but seems better after. I don’t believe you can harm a betta with this, if it is not the right medicine for what is wrong with him, so that is my suggestion. Just make sure to follow the dosing instructions. I’m sorry that’s all I can offer, but since nobody else bothered, I figured I’d offer my 2 cents. Let me know how he’s doing. I think my betta might recover

13. CaptAnnDuchow

CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,284
    Experience:
    Just started
    There is no need to be nasty on every post you make this morning. We are not Vets we are normal people just like you and do our best to help everyone . when all information isnt given we need to ask more questions. MB is not appropriate for all situations.

14. CaptAnnDuchow

CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,284
    Experience:
    Just started
    Looks like fin rot. Lots of water changes and a nutrious diet and some indian almond leaves and time is the BEST medicine for fin rot.

15. ComradeM

Ratings:
    +9
    I’m glad I got upset. At least people are commenting with help now. Geez, I read this person’s post and was sad for them. I also wondered why nobody was helping them.

16. Bubbles_and_Fins

Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +688
    Experience:
    Just started
    You can’t expect everyone to know everything. And you can’t expect an answer right away. Each person helps with what they can, and there’s no way for anyone to know what the problem is without more information. I understand that when your fish is sick it is stressful but you can’t blame other people for your fish being sick or getting worse when all they are doing is trying to help.

17. Bubbles_and_Fins

Ratings:
    +688
    Experience:
    Just started
    That being said, the only visual issue I see is possible finrot, which can be treated easily with daily 25-50% water changes to keep the water pristine and prevent more bacteria. It is mostly caused by poor water quality, so keep that in mind. As @Ann Daniel said, you can use indian almond leaves, because the tannins not only lower the pH (This is a better method for lowering your pH than chemicals, btw) but also are antimicrobial/antibacterial and will also make your betta much happier and less stressed. However, if you don't see any new growth using these two, then you can try hydrogen peroxide (Not sure on how much to dose, but if dosing the whole tank doesn't help then you can get some on a q-tip and apply directly to the betta's fins). It seems like it might be harmful to inverts, though, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd take the snail out to be safe.

Honestly, he might just be lethargic from boredom. Do you flare him at all? And have you changed up his tank lately? My betta gets lethargic and lays around a ton when I haven't been providing enough mental stimulation. Usually adding something new to the tank or encouraging bubble nest building will cheer him up for a while, until he gets bored again eventually. Flaring perks him up too.

18. ComradeM

Ratings:
    +9
    How’s your fish doing? I think I saved mine with the Methylene Blue. He seems to have more energy. Btw, I read that it doesn’t hurt to use Methylene Blue as a dip for Bettas, if they don’t respond to other medicine.

19. Bubbles_and_Fins

Ratings:
    +688
    Experience:
    Just started
    I’m glad your betta is feeling better

Become a Fishlore Member