Betta coughed out white circular type things

Srenee

Reaction score
Hi,
I separated my betta from her sorority in a quarantine tank. Her fins were getting a little frayed so to help heal them, I decided to treat with Melafix, and made sure she had a good filter.
Today she literally “coughed” & her gills released a lot of tiny white things.
Anyone ever dealt with this ?

SeaMonkey06

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Srenee said:
Hi,
I separated my betta from her sorority in a quarantine tank. Her fins were getting a little frayed so to help heal them, I decided to treat with Melafix, and made sure she had a good filter.
Today she literally “coughed” & her gills released a lot of tiny white things.
Anyone ever dealt with this ?
Do you have any photos of her?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't think Melafix is good for bettas. Pics would help. Did you feed em anything after moving them to the quarantine tank?

Srenee

Reaction score
SeaMonkey06 said:
Do you have any photos of her?
Well she doesn’t look sick, but she’s a little listless. I don’t have a picture because I was little thrown off and fascinated on what had just happened. I woke her from a slumber to say hi and then she coughed (not normal). I don’t think the camera would be able to focus in on the white particles.

Srenee

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
I don't think Melafix is good for bettas. Pics would help. Did you feed em anything after moving them to the quarantine tank?
She’s been in quarantine for a couple days now, eating her regular betta pellets.
yes I’ve read it coats their gills so it makes it harder for them to breath, unfortunately, but I’ve maintained clean water with 20% water changes every other day and I figured they’d just breathe from the top rather than breathing below. :/

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Surface breathing is supplemental to "normal" breathing. And since melafix coats the labrynth organ, it also increases the difficulty of getting atmospheric air.

Srenee

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Surface breathing is supplemental to "normal" breathing. And since melafix coats the labrynth organ, it also increases the difficulty of getting atmospheric air.
Good to know. Thank you :)
I shall stop using melafix for my bettas

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom