Betta & Cories 10 Gallon Tank

1. Heather M Well Known Member Member

I would like to put corys (or is it spelled cories? corries?) in my 10g betta tank. They need to be in groups, I know. If I got 4 corys at 2.5" each, that would be 10" of fish. If my tank had enough bacteria after cycling, would it be ok to put a betta and 4 corys in the tank? If not, other stocking suggestions would be great.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

sounds fine if you go with pygmy cories..but they dont do well in new tanks so id wait a month or so after its cycled

3. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Cories.
    It would be pushing the bioload, but it could be doable. Be aware that some bettas will not abide by any tankmates (I think Lucy has one that prefers to be king of his domain).

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

;) Her domain. lol
    I've never tried tank mates with the other two.

Cories can get really big, one of mine is anyway. I bet she tops 3".
    Pygmies are a good alterntive, but have a back up plan in case your betta won't accept them.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Im not good with measuring things, im a girl..but I swear i have a good 4 inch albino cory...3 1/2 for sure! LOL

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

3 and 4 inches?? uh oh, i planned 2 inches per cory in my stocking plan. i have 6 bandits

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

hmm wonder how i can get a pic to compare lol ...i swear they are that big

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I got a ruler out, but mine are hiding behind a rock. lol
    Another thing to remember is they're pretty bulky.

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:whistling:mine are VERY bulky..so no ruler around their waste..but how do you keep yours still to measure LOL...

i did get one of mine against a tablespoon..does that count?

10. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

lol, I didn't say a ruler would work, but it would be worth a try. :anim_35:

11. Heather M Well Known Member Member

I love the Venezuelan Pygmy Cory. They're so cute! I have a few questions before I get one, however. This probably should be put on the cory forum, but since we're on the topic... Do they like the same temperature as bettas? I have large gravel, the natural looking river pebble stuff. Would this be ok? I read that you should have fine, sandy substrate. I'll have to call my LFS to see if they can order the little guys. I'd really rather not pay an arm and a leg for them, so to speak. How much do they usually cost? If you guys don't know, I'll eventually post this in the cory section.

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I don't know how much they cost. Mine were part of a mother's day gift from my husband. I just was in the fish store saying I was 10 of those, 3 of those......lol.
    My pygyies and regular cories tanks have small smooth gravel.
    You can see it in this thread
    Cories Spawning