Betta confused/ disoriented getting lost in his own tank

newbettamom

Reaction score
Sunday: My Betta started showing signs of bloating, lethargy, and bacterial and fungal infection (including a mild cloudy pop eye and struggling to swim) so I started treatment along with Stress Coat.

Monday: He woke up late at night and kept bumping into things as if he didn't know his way around the tank. I checked the water temperature and parameters (both have been in ideal ranges up until that point), and saw an ammonia spike. I immediately performed water change.
Even after that, he was jumpy and kept getting scared of his own reflection. He also got scared of thermometer that he is usually accustomed to having in his tank.

Tuesday: Again, he lost his way around the tank after waking up, was jumpy, and got scared of his own reflection. He used to love his hiding places and now he is scared of them as if they are some foreign objects he has never seen before. He stares at them and moves slowly towards them but will not go inside. He is also now scared of the live aquarium plants that he used to love.

(I also noticed today some of his scales have peeled on both sides yet his fin rots on his analfins are almost completely cured and actually growing).

Do you have any idea as to what is going on and how to remedy this?

JuiceBox52

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do a 75% water change immediately, this is the first step that should be taken at the sign of any external disease.

Could you please post pics of the scales? And a video of him swimming if that is possible

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
newbettamom said:
Sunday: My Betta started showing signs of bloating, lethargy, and bacterial and fungal infection (including a mild cloudy pop eye and struggling to swim) so I started treatment along with Stress Coat.
What treatment did you start?

newbettamom said:
Monday: He woke up late at night and kept bumping into things as if he didn't know his way around the tank. I checked the water temperature and parameters (both have been in ideal ranges up until that point), and saw an ammonia spike. I immediately performed water change.
Even after that, he was jumpy and kept getting scared of his own reflection. He also got scared of thermometer that he is usually accustomed to having in his tank.

Tuesday: Again, he lost his way around the tank after waking up, was jumpy, and got scared of his own reflection. He used to love his hiding places and now he is scared of them as if they are some foreign objects he has never seen before. He stares at them and moves slowly towards them but will not go inside. He is also now scared of the live aquarium plants that he used to love.
Is he a dragon scale by any chance? Do you have a picture of him? What are your exact water parameters?

newbettamom said:
(I also noticed today some of his scales have peeled on both sides yet his fin rots on his analfins are almost completely cured and actually growing).
How big is his tank and could you also add a picture of it?

OP
N

newbettamom

Reaction score
Thank you. I don't know if you can see it (if I try to zoom in anymore, the camera starts blurring) but the lower area behind his gill is red, the scale has come off.

Attachments

OP
N

newbettamom

Reaction score
julifhy said:
What treatment did you start?
Imagitarium Bacterial Remedy.
I completed the treatment now. Since it is an every other day treatment for 3 days, I placed the treatment in the tank on the following days:
Sunday
Tuesday
Thursday

Tuesday, I fed him brine shrimp.
Wednesday, I fed him daphnia.
Saturday (today), I changed filter cartilage.

Improvements:
Thursday, he was no longer constipated and less bloated.
Friday, he was a little less timid.
Saturday (today), he had a little more energy, and his cloudy eyes have mostly cleared up.

Remaining concerns:
He swims slow and curls his body often.
When he is on the gravel, he often leans toward one side (although he isn't completely on his side).
He also needs extra guidance finding his food. Many times he would pass right by it as if he is losing his senses.
He still has a hard time going inside his hiding places. He would stare and slowly approach towards one.

julifhy said:
Is he a dragon scale by any chance? Do you have a picture of him? What are your exact water parameters?
He is galaxy Koi betta. Is he considered a dragon scale?
Please see attached photo. The scale is peeling on lower part behind the gills and on the other side also.

Water parameters:
Ammonia: 0 to 0.5 (except during the spike earlier this week, it went up to 1-2)
Nitrite: Has been going up to 0.5 during the past few days (before water change and detoxifier).
Nitrate: 0
Water hardness: 150
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 40
pH: 6.8

The tank is 3 gallons. I am in the process of moving him to a 5.5 gallon tank.

Attachments

tomiyama

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Until your ammonia and nitrite read zero, I wouldn't feed him for a while, it just stresses his system out, and will add to the toxicity in your tank....

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
newbettamom said:
Imagitarium Bacterial Remedy.
I completed the treatment now. Since it is an every other day treatment for 3 days, I placed the treatment in the tank on the following days:
Sunday
Tuesday
Thursday

Tuesday, I fed him brine shrimp.
Wednesday, I fed him daphnia.
Saturday (today), I changed filter cartilage.

Improvements:
Thursday, he was no longer constipated and less bloated.
Friday, he was a little less timid.
Saturday (today), he had a little more energy, and his cloudy eyes have mostly cleared up.

Remaining concerns:
He swims slow and curls his body often.
When he is on the gravel, he often leans toward one side (although he isn't completely on his side).
He also needs extra guidance finding his food. Many times he would pass right by it as if he is losing his senses.
He still has a hard time going inside his hiding places. He would stare and slowly approach towards one.

He is galaxy Koi betta. Is he considered a dragon scale?
Please see attached photo. The scale is peeling on lower part behind the gills and on the other side also.

Water parameters:
Ammonia: 0 to 0.5 (except during the spike earlier this week, it went up to 1-2)
Nitrite: Has been going up to 0.5 during the past few days (before water change and detoxifier).
Nitrate: 0
Water hardness: 150
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 40
pH: 6.8

The tank is 3 gallons. I am in the process of moving him to a 5.5 gallon tank.
Based on your water test results, your tank isn’t fully cycled. How often have you been doing water changes?

If you’re not already using it, I’d suggest using Seachem Prime. I’d also suggest that you stop medicating the tank until you see if improved water quality helps your fish.

OP
N

newbettamom

Reaction score
Dunk2 said:
Based on your water test results, your tank isn’t fully cycled. How often have you been doing water changes?

If you’re not already using it, I’d suggest using Seachem Prime. I’d also suggest that you stop medicating the tank until you see if improved water quality helps your fish.
I do daily water change. I transferred him last night to a 5.5 gallon tank. I checked to make sure it was cycled but after adding him in there, the ammonia level went up again. I read on the Internet that a tank that is less than 10 gallons can never be completely cycled : (.

I bought Seachem Prime today. Thank you so much for your advice!

New Threads