betta compatability

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by fishaddiction, Dec 20, 2012.

1. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I was wondering in a 68 degrees tank (3 gallons) what besides goldfish are compatible with bettas I don't hink anything but I was just wondering.

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

To be honest, I don't think you can put anything else in a 3 gallon tank with a betta. I would also increase the temperature to that tank because it is a tad cold for a Betta. They are considered tropical fish and should live in at least 75 degree warm water.

A goldfish can't fit in a 3 gallon tank as well.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yup. There may be some shrimp that do not need a heater, that would be appropriate for the tank size

4. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

Also is the only way to heat the tank a heater? What is the name of the shrimp so I can research them. Thanks

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

All of my tanks are unheated. The filters and lights keep the tanks about 5 degrees above room temp. However, they are larger tanks so they are better insulated to temperature swings. In a small tank like that, the water will be whatever the room temp is and it is vulnerable to dangerous swings, so a heater would be needed to ensure a stable temp, even if it's only at 70 degree.

6. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

Understood.

7. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Bettas do best at 80F. I keep mine at that, and they have plenty of energy and swim often. If they get too cold, they get lethargic and can lay around a lot. Just thought I'd add that.

8. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

Mine swims pretty actively but it was in the Betta tank at petco for a while so I'm not sure if it will become more and more tired.

9. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

At 68F, that is too cold for a Betta. Just saying! :)

10. M

MervinKhlonson New Member Member

Are there really "special types of bettas" that prefer to be alone in the tank? Cuz mine would harass any new species introduced in the tank.

11. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

Ya there truly is special types of bettas. :)

12. shellieca

shellieca Valued Member Member

The only thing I might add to a 3G with a Betta would be a snail but I'd get that heater to keep the water at least 76F. Bettas kept in too cold water tend not to live as long & are susceptible to illness.

13. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

The only time I know of a Betta living long is my friends its still alive and he's had it for 3 years in a bowl without a heater and the fish (last time I checked) is still swimming.

14. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

15. shellieca

shellieca Valued Member Member

Like anything there are instances of it happening but that doesn't mean its the way it should be. Obviously the end choice is yours to make. IME, a bigger, filtered, heated tank makes a very active, healthy & seemingly happy Betta.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice