betta compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmazonPassion

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To be honest, I don't think you can put anything else in a 3 gallon tank with a betta. I would also increase the temperature to that tank because it is a tad cold for a Betta. They are considered tropical fish and should live in at least 75 degree warm water.

A goldfish can't fit in a 3 gallon tank as well.

OP
fishaddiction

fishaddiction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also is the only way to heat the tank a heater? What is the name of the shrimp so I can research them. Thanks

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All of my tanks are unheated. The filters and lights keep the tanks about 5 degrees above room temp. However, they are larger tanks so they are better insulated to temperature swings. In a small tank like that, the water will be whatever the room temp is and it is vulnerable to dangerous swings, so a heater would be needed to ensure a stable temp, even if it's only at 70 degree.

AlexAlex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Bettas do best at 80F. I keep mine at that, and they have plenty of energy and swim often. If they get too cold, they get lethargic and can lay around a lot. Just thought I'd add that.

MervinKhlonson

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Are there really "special types of bettas" that prefer to be alone in the tank? Cuz mine would harass any new species introduced in the tank.

shellieca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The only thing I might add to a 3G with a Betta would be a snail but I'd get that heater to keep the water at least 76F. Bettas kept in too cold water tend not to live as long & are susceptible to illness.

OP
fishaddiction

fishaddiction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The only time I know of a Betta living long is my friends its still alive and he's had it for 3 years in a bowl without a heater and the fish (last time I checked) is still swimming.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

shellieca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The only time I know of a Betta living long is my friends its still alive and he's had it for 3 years in a bowl without a heater and the fish (last time I checked) is still swimming.
Like anything there are instances of it happening but that doesn't mean its the way it should be. Obviously the end choice is yours to make. IME, a bigger, filtered, heated tank makes a very active, healthy & seemingly happy Betta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom