Betta Compatability With my community? Question

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hi guys.
    I have an albino rainbow shark in my tank. She is very peaceful and doesnt bother any of the others. would she mix well with a betta male & female?

Thanks.
    :;thx

2. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

The answer is NO not even a chance it will work....Male bettas need to be housed alone.....The only friend they need is you...

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Bettas normally don't make good tank mates. Either they can get aggressive or be picked at by other fish.
    It's best if they have a 5g heated, cycled tank of their own.
    Even if it works for a little while, one day you'd probably wake up to someone hurt or dead.
    Here's our Betta Care Guide

4. hooxeii Well Known Member Member

Based on personal experience, bettas can *usually* be kept with bottom-feeding critters like cory cats, but seeing as rainbows are aggro to begin with, I'd say not. Male bettas tend to have their fins nibbled at, and while females can work better in communities, they can hurt other fish or be hurt by them too.

Like MM said, they really only need/want you :)

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I commented in the thread Meenu linked to.
    Males and females will fight....bettas just don't belong together in any combination.

7. lyndra Member Member

8. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks for the advice. I wont put one in my community tank but may consider the seperate tank option. They are beautiful fish

Yeah I did, just wanted to know if there was a way around it lol!
    Cheers

9. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

lynrda: :eek: <HUGS> for your poor boy! I hope he's recovered well.

10. VenomGrass Member Member

He is beautiful!

11. lyndra Member Member

He is getting a lot better (I recently posted an update of his progress) but he spent less then an hour in our community tank after being placed put in by a family member while his tank was being cleaned (I was out and was furious when I got home)

it was very touch and go for a while, he as red with stress (and you can see in the photo that was linked in my first reply) and couldn't swim properly for a few weeks, it was pitiful to watch and very heartbreaking.

I'm glad you asked about putting a betta into a tank before you actually did it, because I know from experience how quickly it can go badly

12. VenomGrass Member Member

Well thanks very much lyndra I really really appreciate all the advice. This forum is a dream come true for reliable information! 10/10! All great people too! :)