Betta Companion

Zookeeper108

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am looking at getting my halfmoon betta a companion (or two) to assist in clean up. He is in a 3 gallon planted (heated and filtered) tank. So far my plants are using up all of the nitrates that Norbert alone is able to produce. I had always planned on getting him a companion invertebrate, they are fun to watch. I was thinking about amano shrimp or a nerite snail, with preference to the shrimp. I just wanted to get some feed back on here which critter would ultimately be the better choice and as to numbers (in the case of the shrimp). Thanks!!

Adrian Burke

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bettas sometimes eat shrimp, so the snails are a safer choice, unless he's really chill or slow, you can try shrimp.

Sean Smith

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In that small of a tank I wouldn’t put any shrimp in with him . A small nerite should be fine though .

OP
Zookeeper108

Zookeeper108

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Adrian Burke said:
Bettas sometimes eat shrimp, so the snails are a safer choice, unless he's really chill or slow, you can try shrimp.
He is a pretty chill fish. I originally tried him in my big community tank and he just happily swam around exploring and saying hI to my platys until my tetras noticed him and wouldn’t leave him alone. Being a halfmoon he is pretty slow and the tetras could outrun him without trying. And the last time I held a mirror up to him he just stared at it. He flared his fins out but never showed his beard or did the aggressive head wiggle.

wolfdog01

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am personally on the snail side. But that's just me lol
Snail%20Label.jpg

Adrian Burke

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shrimp could work then, they are more fun to watch so I would risk it.
Zookeeper108 said:
He is a pretty chill fish. I originally tried him in my big community tank and he just happily swam around exploring and saying hI to my platys until my tetras noticed him and wouldn’t leave him alone. Being a halfmoon he is pretty slow and the tetras could outrun him without trying. And the last time I held a mirror up to him he just stared at it. He flared his fins out but never showed his beard or did the aggressive head wiggle.

New Threads