Betta Community? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by CosmicDodo42, Apr 12, 2018.

1. CosmicDodo42

CosmicDodo42 Valued Member Member

For my 10 gallon tank, my sister has really wanted a betta fish for eternity, and as I have recently gotten a ten gallon aquarium. I got it to move my Platys and African dwarf frog. Will these be compatible?:
    1x F betta
    4x platys
    1x African dwarf frog
    2x netrite snails
    These will all be for a 10 gallon aquarium.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

No, I would not put these fish all together in a ten gallon.

3. RachelNoel

RachelNoel Valued Member Member

4 platies alone in a 10 gallon is pushing it. And ideally ADFs should be kept in at least pairs.
    Even if the betta is non aggressive, the platies love to swim back and forth, back and forth, back and fourth. If I was that betta I'd get annoyed real quick. If this was a 20 gallon it might work.
    I wouldn't do it in a 10.

If possible it would be best just to get at least a 2.5 gallon for your sister.

4. OP
    OP
    CosmicDodo42

How about without the betta, and with a second frog instead?

5. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

adfs do best in species only tanks...

6. RachelNoel

the main concern with keeping ADFs and fish together is the fish eating the frog's food before they can get to it. It might work it, and it might not.
    Make sure the frog is an African dwarf frog, not an African clawed frog. Clawed frogs will eat your fish once they get big enough.
    In the end it is up to your judgement. Make sure you do your research, not just on this site. And have a backup plan.
    Do you still have still have the tank that your fish were in prior to moving them to the 10? If so (depending on size) it could be used as a species tank for the frogs.
    I personally think it would be best if they had their own tank. It would make feeding less stressful, and you don't have to worry about fish messing with them and vise versa.

7. OP
    OP
    CosmicDodo42

UPDATE: I think I’m going to change this entire plan, I’m not going to move the platys, instead what I’m going to do is this:
    1x Female Betta
    4x kuhli Loaches(moved from existing tank)
    2x Cory cats(new)
    2x netrite snails
    1x African dwarf frog
    I think that now, I should be able to take care of my overpopulation problem in my 20 gal(that’s where the platys were) while at the same time, adding a betta, which I now feel would work. I will try to isolate the frog during feeding time, and make sure he doesn’t have to compete with the betta(I’m not that worried about compition with the Loaches or cats, and I’m probaly not going to have any problems with the snails)

I have changed plans, and I’m now thinking that I probaly shouldn’t keep my frog with the fish(it is a dwarf frog, I checked). Unless, now since it’s going to be with mostly bottom feeders, maybe it could work?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  8. RachelNoel

I hate to be that person, but I think kuhli losches should be kept in groups of at least 6 (4 is doable of course but they love to be in large groups). And in a 10 the only cories you can do are the dwarf species. C. Habrosus for example. Amd they need to be in large groups as well. At least 8. But I think with them being smaller you can fit all of them in a 10 gallon.

I would think that with the fish being bottom feeders, it would easier for them to steal the frogs food. You could always target feed with a turkey baster.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice