Betta Community Tank??

Ellie Winters

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a male betta I've been keeping in his own 10g for a couple years and he has a pretty even temperment. He's a doubletail halfmoon that doesn't swim very well presumably because his fins are so large.

I'd like to give him a tank upgrade to something more natural looking. The tank he's in is several years old and not very pretty. It was my very first and I haven't done much with the design since I've had it.

Question is do you think I could put him in a community with a school of nano fish? Maybe some endlers or something? If so what size tank would I need? 15g?

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some bettas can do fine in communities with other fish but it depends very heavily on the betta. People seem to have more luck with fish that look absolutely nothing like bettas. A 15g would probably be ok but most people seem to have more success with something like a 20 gallon long- just gives the betta a bit more space of his own.

Just make sure you have another tank on standby if they dont get along.

Brenden

Valued Member
Reaction score
As Salem said, it does typically depend on the Betta.

However the general rule, is if it has anything the betta can nip at, don't do it. So as far as Endlers go? I would pass on that idea. Bettas also do not like other fish with bright coloration, and will often act territorial. Even if the Betta initially ignores it, they are very unpredictable and a completely calm Betta can one day decide it no longer likes the fish you put in the tank and will kill it.

I have a little list of fish I have personally kept with Bettas that seems to work, once again, Bettas are not the kind of fish you can generalize. Each one has a personality, so pay attention if you notice signs of aggression.

-Corydora Catfish. Cute, bottom feeders, that Bettas usually ignore. I'd go for the dwarf variety in a 15 gallon, as you have to get a few to ensure maximum happiness. Bettas usually leave them alone.

-Shrimp Despite most sites and experts agreeing that shrimp are the best companion for a Betta, I am kind of 50/50 on it. I had a sick betta for a year and a half, and I kept ghost shrimp with him the entire time. No issues, no attacks, completely ignored them. Then one month I started noticing them going missing. Then one day after work I found my largest shrimp in my bettas mouth, with it's legs torn off. So yes, you can do shrimp, but if your betta gets too curious, it may attack it. Just for the sake of attacking it.

-Ember Tetras You can try to do Neons...however they are colorful. The betta will likely try to chase the Neons, and ultimately stress them out. Embers are a solid orangish-red color, so they are still very pretty, but people say that most bettas leave them alone. I have only kept Neons with my Betta, and for the most part they were fine, but just cause they were fine in my tank doesn't mean it would work for you.

Look up what you want to get before you get it. No aggressive critters, period. Bettas are already nippy, so don't add another nippy fish. That will stress both fish out.

If a species catches your eye, just do a simple google search, or ask on here, and get some information.

Most people think they have ZERO options with Bettas, which is not true at all. You can actually do a lot, it's just trial and error.

Ellie Winters

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I do like both ember tetras and corydoras. So those are possibilities. Do you think green rasboras would be okay? They're super small. So I don't think they would be nippy. But would they get eaten is the real question.

Edit: any chance I could rehome them to my 37g if things don't work out with the betta? It houses 1 honey gourami, 6 glowlights, 6 von rio tetras, 1bn pleco, and a sulawesi rabbit snail.

Last edited:

Wolf010

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Harlequin rasboras are large enough to not get eaten, generally speaking, fishes won't go after any thing bigger then their mouth for food

Brenden

Valued Member
Reaction score
I do like both ember tetras and corydoras. So those are possibilities. Do you think green rasboras would be okay? They're super small. So I don't think they would be nippy. But would they get eaten is the real question.

Edit: any chance I could rehome them to my 37g if things don't work out with the betta? It houses 1 honey gourami, 6 glowlights, 6 von rio tetras, 1bn pleco, and a sulawesi rabbit snail.
The problem with the green raspboras is their coloration. They will be chased and attacked due to how bright their coloration is. They won't bother the betta, but the betta will definitely bother it.

And as long as you don't do too many small fish, you can definitely put them in the 37.

I know it's mildly controversial, but I've found it to be accurate a good deal of the time.

You can use aqadvisor.com to gauge if you're overstocking or not.

pandaloaches4eva

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i've kept harlequin rasboras and blue axelrod rasboras in a 5g tank with a betta (at different times - not all together!) and they've done absolutely fine. the betta ignores them and they ignore him and, importantly, don't nip his fins.

Top Bottom