Betta Community Stocking?

1. C

ChaosCorrupter Valued Member Member

I guess my eyesight is really bad because I bought my betta a 55 gallon when the caresheets said 5.5 gallon. JK. My new turtle pond opened up a tank. The turtles are still in it but when they go outside, I wanted to do a community with my male betta. I already have a bristlenose pleco from an old tank that was broken down. I wanted to do 1 school on the bottom, maybe a smaller corydoras or kuhli loaches. I'm leaning toward the loaches because the temps are more compatible but I'm not set yet. Also 1-2 schools for the mid - top levels. Something that will school would nice vs shoal. I really like tanichthys thacbaensis but I don't think temps match unless seriously fish is a little off for them. Espei rasboras look nice and anything else that might work. Finally, I wanted some snails and shrimp. I already know I'm going to add some amano shrimp. I also wanted Neocaridina shrimp and a few nerite snails but I was worried that loaches would eat the snails. Some final details, the temp will be 78-80 and it will be planted.

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Okay how about
    1 Betta
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    12 Albino Corys or Kuhli loaches
    14 Harlequin Rasboras
    14 Cardinal Tetras
    3 Nerite Snails
    20 Amano Shrimp
    I think this should work in a 55g

3. OP
    OP
    C

I think that would work but I'm gonna drop it down to 10 amanos and add some neocaridina shrimp for some color. Also what order should I add fish in? I already have the betta and pleco but I can keep the pleco in its current tank for a while. I'm just concerned about adding the betta first since it might claim the whole tank

4. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

The albino cories/kuhlis won't really work with that stock, I'd do sterbai cories.

5. OP
    OP
    C

Why won't the kuhlis work? Though the sterbai cories do look nice, how many could I get? 12?

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Nevermind, kuhlis are fine. Screwed up. 12 sterbais is good.

7. OP
    OP
    C

Ok, I think I will stick with the kuhlis than. A mix of 6 pangio oblonga, the black ones, and 6 normal kuhlis with the stripes

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Bettas need warmer water than the BN pleco. I also wouldn't keep them with tetras or rasboras, personally.
    But if they did go this route then do a clown pleco instead.

9. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with both points Anders made

10. OP
    OP
    C

Yea, I saw that in my research but I already have the BN, it was a leftover from a different tank. I'm gonna try to rehome or trade it in to my LFS. Also in the second sentence, were you referring to the BN or the betta?

11. Anders247

I was referring to the BN in the second sentence.

12. OP
    OP
    C

Are clown plecos outgoing? I don't want something that will hide all day. What about claro plecos?

13. Anders247

What is a claro pleco?

14. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Clown plecos are generally pretty shy

15. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

16. OP
    OP
    C

So I probably won't get a pleco now since what I found says that they are mostly shy and hide. Could I add more loaches without a pleco?

17. Anders247

Yeah, you could, imo.