Betta columnaris?

lynn.12

Reaction score
Hi again,

I’ve had a betta for 2.5ish years and about 3 months ago he got some fin rot and fin fungus. I treated with paraguard and the fins healed. Now he has a gill infection of some sort, there is a whitish grayish growth along the underside of one of his gills. He has no other symptoms. Three weeks ago when I noticed it I attempted another paraguard treatment. I stopped this after two weeks of no improvement. Per LFS recommendation I am now trying API fungus cure plus some Stability to counter some of the meds’ effects but I’m halfway through treatment and it looks worse.. I attached the picture I took for the lfs but it’s really terrible, I have tried at length to get something better but when i’m up close to the tank he thinks he’s gonna eat and freaks out. The gill looks worse in person but the paleish line at the gill shows the pattern of the growth. It sticks out past the profile of his head a bit now when he’s swimming by. Originally it had a string coming off it but that fell off after I started paraguard. I believe he’s stressed because in the warm months my apartment gets in the 80s so the water temperature is fluctuating and too warm throughout the day. I got a bigger tank to slow the fluctuation two months ago during the fin troubleshooting, but it hasn’t completely addressed the issue. I move in two months and this will be a nonissue so he’s just gotta hold on til then unless anyone’s got any ideas. (I have an entire system of fans, windows, and insulating tank blanket at this point to try to keep things as steady as I can..).

So I’m considering either pausing meds and upsizing the tank again to help stabilize the water, starting treatment with furan and kanaplex because I read about that online as a columnaris option, orrr something else?

Here are stats..

Tank is 5 gallon, water is RO with Remineralize added, no pH buffer as it always tests at 7 but I do have some on hand. Ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, I haven’t tested nitrates this week but I’ll have to wait til the fungus cure is done (water is real green rn). Temp is 78 at night heater controlled and 82ish at its peak during the hot days (I KNOW. It used to fluctuate way worse in his younger days before I got smart and got a heater but he’s older now..) Water changes are 25% weekly plus extra right now. I have a filter but it’s just a sponge and a waterfall right now since I took the media out. He’s got silk plants and gravel, I don’t have the tank lights on very much because they seem really harsh so he’s mostly in natural light. He eats pellets (~5 a day somewhat spaced out) and freeze dried bloodworms sporadically.

I am ridiculously attached to this fish so I’m all good with doing/buying whatever as long as it has a decent chance of helping. He seems in extremely good health (he’s always been crazy active, literally still jumps out of the water trying to grab food if i don’t drop it fast enough) so I like to think it’s not a lost cause yet but I’m getting nervous with how long this has gone on.

Thank you!!!

Attachments

LucieGuppy13

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This sounds really similar to what happened to my first betta. Unfortunately he died . Sorry, that's not very reassuring! I would not worry that much about the temperature from the heat. There's not much you can do. However you mentioned natural light, so could that be contributing? I hope he gets better!

OP
L

lynn.12

Reaction score
Oh right, that was a bit misleading - definitely not in direct sunlight! He’s in the shade and is the “coolest” part of the apartment

Starbella

Reaction score
I’m new to fish so don’t want to offer wrong advice. I hope you get some good advice for your beloved pet.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom