Help Betta Columnaris Or Something Else?

pearle

Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gal

How long has the tank been running? A month, 3 days with fish

Does it have a filter? Yes

Does it have a heater? Yes

What is the water temperature? 79

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 male veil tail betta

Maintenance

How often do you change the water? 1x week

How much of the water do you change? 20%

What do you use to treat your water? Prime

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes

What do you use to test the water? api liquid test kit

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: <5

pH: 7.2

Feeding

How often do you feed your fish? 2x daily,

How much do you feed your fish? 1 pellet or a few frozen brine shrimp

What brand of food do you feed your fish?hikari bio gold pellets

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes, the shrimp

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish? 5 months

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A week + 2 daysish

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Started as strings coming off fins, diagnosed with fin rot, moved him to cycled tank, fin rot strings gone but white bits remained above mouth for 3 days. White bits vanished, then reappeared sticking out of one gill, also vanished. fish had been more skittish of me(possibly new tank) and seems uncomfortable. Mouth was slightly open.

Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes, kanaplex and furan-2

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Mild fin rot

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? after moving to his 10gal he became more skittish. Lurked near the top. Was more lethargic in his bowl leading up to the tank move, more active in new tank but stressed.
also an explosion of tiny white worms/white alive dots on glass and in tank. Some almost looked like baby brine shrimp the way they swam, jerky. Too small to tell if worms or what. Parasites on him maybe?

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Week ago: He was lethargic and lurking in a corner in his unfiltered bowl. Overnight clearing white strings appeared on him and his plants. He also has what I thought was a dead scale sticking off his face, but it was on both sides, white.

I asked the internet and people said it was from fin rot and move him to my 10gal and finish the cycle with him in there.

I had started treating with betta revive but then that night, my new tank finally tested as cycled, so I moved him in. Stopped treating, hoping clean warm water would be enough.

The strings were gone upon moving into the tank.

However the white stuff above his mouth remained. Link to video of him with that. I thought it was Columnaris. Ordered kanaplex and furan-2. It would be 3 days to get the meds.

Day 1. I got home and scared him, he darted headfirst into some rocks. I don’t know if this knocked that white stuff off, or if it fell off itself beforehand, but the white things had gone.

Day 2. he developed something white hanging from one gill, like white tissue sticking out. I received instruction to move him to a hospital tank with catappa leaves, drop the temp, and dose with stressguard while waiting for meds.

That night when I got off work and went to move him, the white stuff had vanished again!

Day 3. is today, I have dosed him with kanaplex and furan 2 in his 4gal hospital tank. No more white stuff has appeared, but I’m really confused and now unsure if it even is Columnaris?

There was also an explosion of different tiny worms and swimmers in his 10gal, on and off the glass, so I’m worried about parasites?

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anchor worms maybe? Google the symptoms and look at some pics to see if that’s what you are seeing Formalin or api General cure if you’re in the US salt is also a good alternative if not

pearle

Reaction score
Anchor worms maybe? Google the symptoms and look at some pics to see if that’s what you are seeing Formalin or api General cure if you’re in the US salt is also a good alternative if not
Omg! In the video I linked of him the bigger thing kind of has 2 tails like in the pictures, but it’s hard to tell. Nothing is visible on him right now but GROSS, would that explain why they appear and disappear?

would kanaplex or furan 2 do anything against them? Or is that pointless now? its hard to tell if he has them now, I don’t see anything sticking off him.

But if it was Columnaris I would have thought he would have been covered increasingly in the cotton stuff over the course of days, unless it was internal.

pearle

Reaction score
Wait what nooo “ The anchor worm will bury themselves into the fish's muscles where they live for several months while developing. After developing, they make their way out of the fish, a process that often leaves bad wounds. Right before the anchor worm dies, it will release its eggs. The cycle is then repeated over and over again.”

so they’re literally coming out of him?! He doesn’t have any bad wounds yet but that would explain the disappearing! Adding formalin to my growing medicine cabinet! I’ll do some research on salt dips, I’ve never done one before and am nervous.

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Whoah there. Slow down a bit.

This does not sound like anchor worms. They don't just show up and disappear in a day or two. They also leave obvious wounds on the fish where they exit out of it's body.

Continue your quarantine and treatment through the end of the treatment as directed on the medication.

I would maybe quarantine it another week or two with frequent water changes and aquarium salt and see how things go.

The creepy crawlies in the tank are probably unrelated.

pearle

Reaction score
Whoah there. Slow down a bit.

This does not sound like anchor worms. They don't just show up and disappear in a day or two. They also leave obvious wounds on the fish where they exit out of it's body.

Continue your quarantine and treatment through the end of the treatment as directed on the medication.

I would maybe quarantine it another week or two with frequent water changes and aquarium salt and see how things go.

The creepy crawlies in the tank are probably unrelated.
I calmed down! I’ve been really anxious in general lately so I zoomed in on the fish.

The creepy crawlers are so numerous and there are so many kinds, I saw one go on my bettas face and he twitched away from it, so I panicked. They have dropped in number, hopefully it was just a weird bloom. I turned the filter flow up in his absence and the water has cleared up a lot.

Do you think I should treat the main tank with the same meds I’m treating my fish with? Or just keep changing the water?

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
So it has probably been mentioned above....

If the creepies really bother you - You can dose the main tank with a copper (malachite green) based aquarium treatment. These generally kill invertebrates - Aka worms, snails, shrimp, and such....

Get an API Copper test kit and dose the medication until your Copper test shows 2ppm copper. Let it run a couple weeks and then water change it out. It won't come out in a carbon filter.

The downside of killing all this stuff is a LOT of dead biological stuff in your tank... It may get stinky... You will probably have to rinse all that out and re-cycle the tank from scratch.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom