It lists some colors and types Bettas come in

carol

choochiegirl
hmmm apparently I have a mutt. I like the different colours on mine tho

mlinden84
hmmm apparently I have a mutt. I like the different colours on mine tho

lol me too!

Butterfly
Me too LOL He's red and blue. But I often hear someone say " I have a so and so color and a so and so tail Betta" and I don't know what their talking about exactly and this cleared a lot of that up.
Carol

LuvaBetta
Seems like dog and cat mutts are healthier than purebreds. Wonder if that's true with bettas? I love my mutt, copper body with purple iridescent streak, red-blue-purple fins. Sure couldn't breed for that!

voiceless_kat
Neat article , Carol. My Wink was coloured like the Cambodian blah, blah, blah...white body, blue/green fins, but a veil tail. Seemed more like a mutt to me, with the spirit of a thoroughbred.......

Those fish all look like the beautiful Miami Aquarium bettas -- just awesome!

Val:;sman

pamd
Has anyone bought a fish from this breeder? As I mentioned previously, the betta fish's personality and health are much more important to me than his or her looks.

0morrokh
Seems like dog and cat mutts are healthier than purebreds. Wonder if that's true with bettas? I love my mutt, copper body with purple iridescent streak, red-blue-purple fins. Sure couldn't breed for that!

Not necessarily...since most "mutts" are from pet stores and are cheap, poor quality stock that are not cared for well, while the "purebreds" tend to be more expensive fish from breeders that may treat their fish better...you often get healthier fish if you buy the fancier varieties from a breeder.

My bettas are both mutts too...I'd rather rescue mutts from near death than pay for high quality, healthy bettas that will get a good home anyway...but that's just me. I'd rather pet stores just stopped selling bettas altogether.

COBettaCouple
Our bettas are a mix of store-bought "mutts" or "culls" and "culls" from breeders-stock. Like our KairI - she would be a steel show betta, but she has a curl at the end of 1 of her fins so the breeder culled her to the auction at the IBC show we went to.

Jendayi
Has anyone bought a fish from this breeder? As I mentioned previously, the betta fish's personality and health are much more important to me than his or her looks.

The BettaTalk website was the very first one that I found when I wanted to educate myself on bettas last February with Cujo. She has a lot of very good information there, in my opinion.

I have ooh'd and ahh'd over her stock pages and admired her beautiful strains of fish, but have never ordered from her. One of the main things I see is that she usually ships a brother/sister pair, I guess assuming that people want to breed (which I don't).

Just FYI, I got a lecture from Rose a while back when I posted a link to a disease page on the BettaTalk site. Apparently she knows of some people who have had bad experiences there, but I don't have that knowledge myself.

LuvaBetta
I read the material on the bettatalk website too, not knowing anything about bettas except what a co-worker knew - drop them in a vase of dechlorinated water without substrate, heater or filter, plants, nothing. (I've never figured out why hers seemed perfectly healthy!) The information there was good, I thought, apart from her being a fantastically bad writer. It gave me what I needed. I haven't bought, tho.

voiceless_kat
!)/[/FONT]quote]

That really is the million dollar question, that no one seems to bed able to answer........................

COBettaCouple
I think the answer is probability.. Throw enough Bettas into poor conditions like that and you'll have a few survive for a while. A thousand people could try that and fail, but then someone gets lucky with an exceptionally hearty Betta and then we all wonder.

shellbell4ever
I tried looking online but got no where I have these two girls and I'm not sure what they are (color wise that is)I'm thinking grizzle and Butterfly But not sure Please help me!!!Sorry there a little blurry but you should be able to see their coloring ok...

macroman
Not sure on the colour, but they are pretty Bettas.

COBettaCouple
They're beautiful girls. I'm not sure there's a defined name for their color/patterns.

Martinismommy
The little girl on the right is PURDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm thinking about getting a little girl for myself...My home is over run by males...2 male dogs 1 hubby 2 adult sons and 9 male finbabies! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

shellbell4ever
Oh my You definitely need some girly power over there and quick (LOL)

chickadee
The first one I cannot see good enough to tell the exact coloration but the one on the right is a Cambodian in coloration. Light colored body and darker colored fins. (usually red but sometimes blue or lavender)

The first little girl on the left may become a Cambodian with partial cellophane fins before she is full grown as this sometimes happens. In a crossbred female they can have a Cambodian coloration with only partial coloration of the fins and partial cellophane coloration. As they grow the red coloration fills more and more of the fins and the cellophane receeds.

Rose

MinxMermaid
The little girl on the right is PURDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm thinking about getting a little girl for myself...My home is over run by males...2 male dogs 1 hubby 2 adult sons and 9 male finbabies! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha, I feel the same way Karen,
1 male dog, 2 male cats, 1 hubby, 6 male bettas, and I think mostly male fish except 1 female angel and 2 female guppies!!
Definitely outnumbered!!!

oh yeah, CUTE baby GIRLS Shell!!

Shawnie
hahaha, I feel the same way Karen,
1 male dog, 2 male cats, 1 hubby, 6 male bettas, and I think mostly male fish except 1 female angel and 2 female guppies!!
Definitely outnumbered!!!

oh yeah, CUTE baby GIRLS Shell!!

the girlie world isn't all that its cracked up to be!! LOL

too much estrogen isn't good for the acheing bones!

Martinismommy
the girlie world isn't all that its cracked up to be!! LOL

too much estrogen isn't good for the acheing bones!

This is true but how do you think the males feel when they always have that 1 thing on their mind! lololol

Let's go shopping Jacqi!

283.jpg

Shawnie
This is true but how do you think the males feel when they always have that 1 thing on their mind! lololol

Let's go shopping Jacqi!

283.jpg

just hide your legs

chickadee
Is that Jagger???

Rose

jdhef
this Is True But How Do You Think The Males Feel When They Always Have That 1 Thing On Their Mind! Lololol

Nascar????

Shawnie
Martinismommy
Yes Rose, that is Jagger.....He has had bubbles above his head since the day he arrived home......

And as far as Nascar, well that is a close 2nd! Steve goes to PIR every year for a week! It's kind of nice because there are no bubbles that week (if you know what I mean) lol

Lucy

283.jpg

Nascar????

And as far as Nascar, well that is a close 2nd! Steve goes to PIR every year for a week! It's kind of nice because there are no bubbles that week (if you know what I mean) lol

Ya'll are too much!

What's the matter with bubbles?

Red1313
We all know that Betta's come in all sorts of colors but I've found a couple of links that are a neat read. Don't know if they've been posted on the forum or not.

Apparently my gang is as follows.
Coolie:
- iridescent <I think...> veil tail
Ray:
- Marble or butterfly crownie <hard to tell since he's missing a large portion of his fins>
Babie:
- Cambodian
Ember:
- Chocolate Veil Tail
Nighthawk/Moonrise:
- Unknown<poss steel blue> Crownie
lol
I could be wrong as well.

Lucy
Thanks for the links.....I like what I'm seeing so far. The actually denounce the betta in a vase!! Yippee!
However, they say the betta thrives in hot humid conditions...but say the water should be 70F?? I wonder if this is a typo?

I'm interested in reading more of what they say, but I had root canal today and am not thinking or comprehending things very well.

TFA101
i'm pretty sure my Mango's an orange dalmation. Wonderful orange color on him, he's a handsome fish

Red1313
ooch, hope you're feeling better soon.
I'm glad you like the links I'm scrounging the internet in an attempt to find out what kind of coloration one of my new boys has. May as well try to save someone else the trouble.

Alessa
How do you call a betta whose body is "iridiscent-baby blue-mint green-metalic lavander" and whose fins are matte red?

Red1313
probably similar to what you call a steel blue betta with gold fins, beautiful.
I haven't found a complete list yet but those are the best so far. I'm still on the hunt.

Alessa
That is my Balthier

Red1313
lol I'd call him peppermint but I don't think that is a legitimate one.
He could be a different type of iridescent variant. It looks like he might have a base color similar to a cambodian since is face seems to have a white/flesh base rather the the black of a red.
Just a guess though I'm not really an expert.

EDIT: Whoops that might just have been the reflection b/c his mouth looks black which would imply that he's a non extensive red under the irredesence.

Alessa
Yep, he actually has black/red under the peppermint-lavander iridisence... You just can't tell by the pictures the lavander or the red...

isis
Oh I'd love to have a white one!

Matt
Me To That White One Looks Magnif.

from Matt

Kayin1470
they are all so awesome looking.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Neoqueenhonybee
Replies