Betta Color Change

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes he is perfectly fine and healthy. He's a marble betta with the jumping gene which causes him to change colours over time.

I see he has a tear in his caudal fin. Make sure to keep the water clean to prevent it from getting infected. You may want to remove the plastic plants in there which are notorious for ripping betta fins and prevent it from happening again. Look into getting silk plants which are gentle and soft.

That ribbon plant you have in there is not aquatic. You should remove it so it doesn't die and rot in there. It's fine with it's roots submerged in water, just make sure the leaves are above water.

Last edited:

Emily12178

Reaction score
Thank you! I try to keep his tank warm and I’m always worrying about his fins and everything else. When I got him the store told me to feed him 1 worm every two days. Then another person said 2 pellets every other day. I actually feed him 4 pellets twice a day and a worm once in a while as a treat, but he doesn’t like the worms very much. Hopefully, he won’t get fat. Because he seems to expect to be fed twice a day now.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you! I try to keep his tank warm and I’m always worrying about his fins and everything else. When I got him the store told me to feed him 1 worm every two days. Then another person said 2 pellets every other day. I actually feed him 4 pellets twice a day and a worm once in a while as a treat, but he doesn’t like the worms very much. Hopefully, he won’t get fat. Because he seems to expect to be fed twice a day now.
I added a bit more to my previous post. A good rule of thumb to follow is to feed as big eye your betta's eye as that's how big their stomachs approximately are.

I see in your profile that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle and suggest that you research more about it. Basically all tank inhabitants produce ammonia as waste which is toxic, but you have beneficial bacteria which lives in the filter to convert it into nitrites then nitrates which are less toxic and can be removed with a simple water change. Having a cycled tank is important for the conversion of those chemicals.

Emily12178

Reaction score
Yes he is perfectly fine and healthy. He's a marble betta with the jumping gene which causes him to change colours over time.

I see he has a tear in his caudal fin. Make sure to keep the water clean to prevent it from getting infected. You may want to remove the plastic plants in there which are notorious for ripping betta fins and prevent it from happening again. Look into getting silk plants which are gentle and soft.

That ribbon plant you have in there is not aquatic. You should remove it so it doesn't die and rot in there. It's fine with it's roots submerged in water, just make sure the leaves are above water.
I change 2 gallons every week. I’ll look in to silk plants. But I bought both of the plants in the tank at the pet store, and they had them both submerged in water. There were lots of them. Next time I’ll buy the ones in the the little plastic tubes that say they are for betas.

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome! Silk plants are good but a real water sprite may be better and helps the water so much more!

My daughter had a betta and he loves lounging on the water sprite.

Emily12178

Reaction score
That looks fun. Actually the only reason there are plastic plants in my tank is because my daughter had a biome project on the Great Barrier Reef and how it’s turning white. Anyway, so at first I had a little tank for him, but I dropped it when I was doing a full water change,( don’t worry, he wasn’t in it.) which is fine because I wanted him to have a bigger tank anyway, but then it looked so empty with just the one plant in and I know they like lots of plants and stuff to lay on and hide in. I do want to get him lots of real plants. I’ve also been looking at those leaves that float on top of the tank, and I kinda want to get him a floating log. Do they really like those? My little moss ball isn’t green since the switch anymore either. Should I just throw it out and buy a new one? I’m not sure he even cares about it.

Attachments

Emily12178

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the help. I got rid of all the plastic plants. Hopefully, his fins will get better soon. So far the center plant is doing fine in there, but if it starts to look sickly or rotting, I will take it out.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 30 66.7%

Top Bottom