Betta Clamped Fins Treatment?

Katkatt

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I recently got a brand new betta named Storm. He's currently in a cycled, heated 10 gallon tank, but if anyone's read my previous flurry of new threads questioning about traveling or otherwise, you'll know he traveled from a cup to a mason jar then six hours in a car in said jar yesterday before being placed in this new tank last night around 10 pm EST.

He's now contracted clamped fins (they look almost withered against him and he spends the majority of his time hiding in his fake coral cave, his swimming is sporadic and jerky, too. No signs of any other illness, luckily), of which I am almost certain is from the trip, but I want to know how to treat it.

Any tips?
2017-06-20.jpg

Attachments

bettathe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This happened to my betta about a week ago, not sure why but like @Fahn said water changes will help... only took about 3 days for my bettas clamped fins to get back to normal. Maybe try a few small water changes every 2 - 3 days and it should help. Good luck!

boate1997

Valued Member
Reaction score
He should bounce back after some time. My concern would be to keep an eye out for illness that the stress causes. Once he is back to normal i would say treat him for internal parasites as a precaution ( i always try to if i can) then just let him be.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's probably stress from traveling and all the different water parameters and transfers. You can help him relax by leaving the lights off for a few days and just letting ambient room lighting so the tank remains dim. Feed small amounts of food and try to keep any loud noises to a minimum for a couple days. Water changes are also good but keep them limited to 25% or less and you can do them daily or every other day. If the tank is cycled and you have no Ammonia or nitrites then you can just do water changes as necessary to keep nitrAtes below 20 as there is no reason to do them more frequently. I generally avoid big gravel vacuum sessions for the first week or two when I've added new fish just suck up what you can see with the syphon during the little water changes.

He should come out of it alright if he can just take 5 for a few days and relax until he's ready to explore his new surroundings.

Fish&snails

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This happened to my boy a day or so after I got him. I always thought it was due to the heater that I had purchased for the tank malfunctioning and the temp spiking up to 85 really fast thus stressing him out. The heater wasn't one that you can control and shouldn't have gone above 80. I got a new heater immediately and slowly over a couple of days his fins opened up, but like someone mentioned before keep a close eye out for illness. My boy immediately developed fin rot and eventually velvet. I am religious about doing weekly water changes with my tanks and with him it has been an uphill battle since I got him. Not saying that will be the case for you but just sharing my experience and if I could go back and do some things different I would. I would have taken action earlier on his fin rot and not listened to the people at the store when they told me no, he didn't have fin rot. I knew he did when his fins opened up, but questioned myself because this was my first betta and I was new to the fish world. His fins did not look the same as they did before they clamped. I am sure everything will be fine with your baby, just keep a close eye out and don't listen to the people in the big stores.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom