Betta Choking Help

1. L

LucineT Valued Member Member

I think my betta is choking and I don't know what to do. I gave him and his tankmates some rehydrated freeze dried brine shrimp. There was a piece that I didn't break down properly and when I went to check on him, he was swimming round with a big piece in his mouth.

I managed to net him and pull out the pieces but when I let him go, he sank right to the bottom. He's netted right now and opening and shutting his mouth real big. The net is still submerged in his home tank so he can lie down like he wants to and still be close to the surface

Is there anything I can do to help him? Or is this just a waiting game at this point?

Also I just noticed that his right fin is clamped down to his body but his left is still flapping about

2. Fieryskys

Fieryskys Valued Member Member

Okay, can you see anything in his mouth or throat? Do you have a fry net or a separate quarantine tank?

3. OP
    OP
    L

I can't see anything else in his mouth. My 1 gallon quarantine tank is currently in use by a cardinal tetra with popeye. This net is the only thing I have for him

4. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

Are his gills still moving?

5. OP
    OP
    L

His gills are still moving. He's unclamped the right fin when he's trying to move about in the net but it's clear he's not favouring it.
    There are still some brine shrimp in there that I'm waiting for it to sink so the striped catfish can get them and Sushi is trying to get to it which is the only reason why he's moving around

6. Fieryskys

He can breathe, give him a few minutes to see if he just got stressed out by being netted. Is he still opening his mouth?

7. OP
    OP
    L

He's fine in the net now that its not moving around. He's alternating between clamping his right fin and swimming around with both fins. But he's trying to get to the brine shrimp outside the net

8. Fieryskys

I would just keep an eye on him for a while. When all of the food is gone, you can try to release him from the net if he looks normal.

9. OP
    OP
    L

The food is mainly gone thanks to the platies but he's definitely still clamping until he sees me. He's in a 50 gallon and I'm worried if I let him go, he's going to sink to the bottom again and have difficulty getting to the surface to breathe

10. Fieryskys

Is your net a good size? Large enough for him to circle around?

11. OP
    OP
    L

It's small but he can swim back and forth and turn round. It's also submerged by three inches or so

12. Fieryskys

If your concerned about him but he looks comfortable enough you can leave him in the net overnight.

13. OP
    OP
    L

I might do that. Thank you!

14. Fieryskys

Keep us updated on his condition!

15. OP
    OP
    L

I will. Hopefully he learns his lesson. Next time I'm at my LFS, I'll get that breeding net just in case

16. OP
    OP
    L

HE POOPED!

I came into work this morning and checked on Sushi and found a very big poop at the bottom of the net. He's also using both fins better now so I've let him loose into his tank again.
    So far he's back to normal and swims up whenever I walk pass. :D

17. Fieryskys

Glad to hear he's doing better!

18. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

id love to see a photo just incase. Sounds like he was just stressed. ive seen what a actual chokeing betta looks like and thats not it.

19. OP
    OP
    L

Sure. He's a little hard to get a photo of because he doesn't like sitting still

He's back to his usual self, alternating between his driftwood cave and patrolling the open water space. He just gets a little wild whenever I stand in front of the aquarium because he thinks I'm going to feed everyone

20. TwoTonedTanker

TwoTonedTanker Valued Member Member

Wow, he must’ve been a bit constipated, that might’ve been what the fun clamping was, lol!
    Has happened to my fish a few times, he usually gets very exited after a big poop.
    Then off to a water change! Lol, I don’t want a giant turn floating around, he has a habit of eating, err, gross stuff..
    Glad to hear yours is doin better! Would love to see a picture! Here’s a picture of mine, Ghost!

IMG_5487.JPG IMG_5489.JPG

Oops! Have two of the same photo! Haha
    IMG_5488.JPG

Attached Files: