Betta Change In Temper

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Amber Fuschetto, Apr 9, 2017.

1. A

Amber Fuschetto Valued Member Member

So I've had a 4 1/2 year old betta for quite some time now. Everyday whenever I make sudden movement he comes over to greet me but today when I went over to see him he didn't. It looks as if he got stuck behind a plant, so I moved it. But now his color looks off and he doesn't seem interested in food, but he still ate it when I put it infront of him. The readings of the tank have been the same since he's been in it so nothing is off. The tank is set to 80.. does this mean my fishy friends life is slowly coming to an end? Or is something truly wrong?

Attached Files:

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Maybe it's just moody. In which case it may be female.

3. OP
    OP
    A

Hope so Lol!

4. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Hate to tell ya it's a boy.

5. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

He's a pretty old fella, so unless you see symptoms of something, I would just do what you always have. Warm water and water changes, etc. as long as he's swimming and eating pretty well. I saw someone had one for 7 years, so he may be slowing with age, like we do, but since there are no predators or competitors he may still have quite a bit of time left

6. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

I'm well aware. Was being sarcastic.

7. OP
    OP
    A

It was a clever comment.. Sad that it's the truth! Hahhahah..

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

When my old betta died, it behaved similarly to how you are describing, plus your betta sounds like it is pretty old, 5 years is normal for a betta (it was probably about 6 months when you got it).

9. OP
    OP
    A

He seems to come and greet me now, but when I drop the food in it's almost as if he can't sense it's there unless I hold it directly in front of him. Strange how you can grow so attatched to such a little fish..

10. pixelhoot

pixelhoot Valued Member Member

This is indeed old age, as bettas have their colours fade and become more lethargic as they age. Another thing to look out for is a little hump on his back, another old age indicator for bettas. My policy with all animals though is that if it's eating, pooping, and not in pain or appearing stressed, there is no need to put them down anytime soon. :> Just be sure to always watch him closely, as with old age comes higher chances of disease and other complications. Wishing you the best of luck!

11. OP
    OP
    A

Alright sounds good, really appreciate your comment. Thankyou so much!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice