Betta Care

princess0ash

Reaction score
So, I've had my betta for about 4 to 5 months now. He's in a five gallon tank with two mystery snails. I plan on moving my snails out to a bigger tank and keeping my betta by himself in the 5 gallon once I have the funds to (I know its a snug fit, but they do well together and don't bother each other right now). I think my betta is having an issue with his swim bladder. He can swim down to the bottom but can't keep himself there and he mostly hangs out along the top on his side or between the filter and the wall. He didn't used to do this when I first got him, he loved going in his pineapple (may have stopped because of the snails too). Also, I previously had a problem with green algae because the light that came with my aquarium is too strong, solved that - now I have brown algae growing on my walls (its not a lot, but small spots here and there). I've also noticed little worms in the tank. What I want to do is take the betta and snails out (my husband has a bigger 39 gallon tank that is currently empty but established, but it has sand on the bottom so not sure how well the snails would like that) and clean the entire tank and reestablish it. I fear for my betta because of his behavior, and it looks like he is starting to lose some of his color on his belly. I was thinking of buying one of those small .5/1 gallon tank to keep my betta in while I clean the tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm relatively new to this and my husband has never dealt with a betta.

Thanks!

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Filling out this template will help us be able to figure out whats wrong a bit easier. A picture of your betta may also help if you have any.

Is he bloated? A lot of the time swim bladder problems arise when the fish is constipated. Fasting him for a few days, then feeding him a small piece of boiled, shelled pea (if he hasn't pooped by then) usually helps bloat go down and as a result swim bladder issues lessen. I'm not 100% sure if this is the cause of your betta's issues because you mention he's hanging around the filter. The template should help narrow it down.

The algae could be a result of high nitrates, phosphates, silicates, etc. Diatoms are common in newer aquariums and usually will be replaced by different types of algae.

What do the little worms look like? They could be detritus worms which are harmless or they could be causing problems.

I personally wouldn't deep clean the entire tank as restarting the cycle could take quite a while even if you used seeded media from the other tank and honestly there really isn't much reason to do so at this point in time. You can clean the gravel with a siphon and clean the ornaments in tank water if you feel the need to clean them.

Finally, sand is fine for snails.

princess0ash

Reaction score
His abdomen sticks out to just one side. Now that you mention it, I dont know when I've seen him poop last. He hangs out between the filter and the wall like it's his new hiding spot, but its typically when no one is around or when we are sleeping. He always comes to the front of the tank when he knows we are there. The worms are maybe a half inch long at most, tan. I clean the gravel with a siphon when I do water changes, about 25-40% once a week.

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When was the last time you checked your parameters? Do you happen to know what they are currently? If not can you test them?

If his abdomen is sticking out to a single side it is most likely a tumor, has he always had this? If not when did you first notice it?
When he's swimming around does he bump into/ brush against things? Him going between the wall and filter could potentially be flashing- which is sort of like the fish trying to itch.

Again, it would greatly help if you filled out the aforementioned template.

Top Bottom