Betta can't stay down.

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Bluegillfreak, Nov 30, 2012.

1. B

Bluegillfreak Valued Member Member

My beautiful Betta can't stay down he trys will all his might to get to the bottom them just floats back up and kind of leans over he can swim fine at the top. What should I do?

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

Does he look bloated? Maybe a problem with his swim bladder. I don't have enough expertise to suggest a treatment but there are a lot of betta people on here who will be along to help you out.

3. S

ScottyGunz Valued Member Member

It could also be that your betta is a little too excited while feeding at the surface. In this excitement, he may be sucking in a lot of air, forcing to stay near or around the surface. I have a betta that does this. Sinking foods or holding the food below the water surface should help (if too much air in the stomach is the problem).

How long has this been going on? Does it go away and come back, or does he stay bloated?

4. OP
    OP
    B

Bluegillfreak Valued Member Member

I think this may have been the case, he has never done that before that's why I was really worried but now that I think about it it did occur right after I fed him and his tank mates I checked on him again a couple hours after I made the original post and he was swimming around normally looking happy as could be same thing this morning able to go where ever he wants with no issue.

5. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I had a female who had Chronic SBD issues. She would always float for a few hours and then resume normal swimming. He should be fine, soak his food prior to feeding from now on to help it sink. Sucking in air from the surface while eating can cause some nasty Swim bladder issues

6. s

ssubbie1231 New Member Member

Does he swim crooked? could have swim bladder disease check with LFS there is meds for that.

7. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Meds are not needed for SBD most of the time. Normally there is nothing to do for SBD besides warm water, good food and clean tank. Occasionally there could be a bacterial infection in the swim bladder. In that case then marcyn1+2 can take care of it. However, a bacterial infection would be gradual and wouldn't go away that fast.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice