Betta bulbs, carpet, foreground, aquaponics questions and more

User1

I have quite a few plant questions about my tank.

1. Are betta bulbs good for a beginner? Whole dormancy period kinda throws me off.
2. Should I be looking for dwarf sag and java moss to complete my carpet?
3. Will lump wood charcoal be an okay aquaponics medium? Trying to avoid getting a bag of leca (I use this charcoal for my springtails)
4. Best foregrounds plants I should look for?
5. Should java fern be able to grow in a tiny crevice in my driftwood with aqua soil? What else could?
6. Can root tabs be broken up into smaller pieces for carpet plants?

bored411

I only know the answer to some of these, but I'll help where I can!

2. I have dwarf sag. in my 3-gallon betta tank and while it doesn't necessarily "carpet" like java moss or baby tears, it does grow well with just root tabs! I use no CO2 and have low light and it's spreading really good. I'll attach pictures for you of my dwarf sag.

4. If you want foreground carpet plants I stand by dwarf sag. as that's what's worked for me with low light and no CO2. You can also do java moss, micro swords, dwarf hairgrass and baby tears(which carpet better with CO2 and good light).

5. Java ferns will grow in crevices, though you may have to tie it down until its roots grow, but because they are column feeders you would need to use a liquid fertilizer. Aqua soil won't really help them get their nutrients because they feed from their leaves and not their roots.
Anubis, java moss, baby tears, subwasertang, monte carlo, and Christmas moss are a few others that can grow on driftwood but they are also water column feeders. The mosses and subwasertang are some that don't require as much experience to grow. I've heard they grow perfectly fine if just left alone, though I personally have subwasertang that is stubborn about turning brown if not given enough light.

6. I break up my root tabs for my dwarf sag because I do have a small 3-gallon. and by breaking it up, it lets the nutrients be in more than one area so the dwarf sag is encouraged to grow sprouts in more than just one little area.

Attachments

• IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 5

User1

I only know the answer to some of these, but I'll help where I can!

2. I have dwarf sag. in my 3-gallon betta tank and while it doesn't necessarily "carpet" like java moss or baby tears, it does grow well with just root tabs! I use no CO2 and have low light and it's spreading really good. I'll attach pictures for you of my dwarf sag.

4. If you want foreground carpet plants I stand by dwarf sag. as that's what's worked for me with low light and no CO2. You can also do java moss, micro swords, dwarf hairgrass and baby tears(which carpet better with CO2 and good light).

5. Java ferns will grow in crevices, though you may have to tie it down until its roots grow, but because they are column feeders you would need to use a liquid fertilizer. Aqua soil won't really help them get their nutrients because they feed from their leaves and not their roots.
Anubis, java moss, baby tears, subwasertang, monte carlo, and Christmas moss are a few others that can grow on driftwood but they are also water column feeders. The mosses and subwasertang are some that don't require as much experience to grow. I've heard they grow perfectly fine if just left alone, though I personally have subwasertang that is stubborn about turning brown if not given enough light.

6. I break up my root tabs for my dwarf sag because I do have a small 3-gallon. and by breaking it up, it lets the nutrients be in more than one area so the dwarf sag is encouraged to grow sprouts in more than just one little area.
I think I'll round up all of my current carpet and put it all in one spot and let it stretch as a foreground plant, thanks for the help!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Zorro A. Knievel Esq.
Replies
Views
AGuna
Replies
Views
Lunnietic
Replies
Views