Betta build, working on a natural look

airia

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone, i've been wanting to improve my Bettas tank and give it a more natural looking environment, i'm wanting to get live plants but as it's still winter here they aren't able to be shipped due to the weather I was wondering if anyone can suggest anything to improve the tank or what I can do differently maybe driftwood, different fish hides?
The fake plants I have in there now he usually rests in and enjoys playing in them a bit.

I'm planning to get some microsword but i'm not sure of other beginner plants that would fit in a 10g.

Attachments

ahouseofscales

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
airia said:
Hey everyone, i've been wanting to improve my Bettas tank and give it a more natural looking environment, i'm wanting to get live plants but as it's still winter here they aren't able to be shipped due to the weather I was wondering if anyone can suggest anything to improve the tank or what I can do differently maybe driftwood, different fish hides?
The fake plants I have in there now he usually rests in and enjoys playing in them a bit.

I'm planning to get some microsword but i'm not sure of other beginner plants that would fit in a 10 gallon.
You could add some smaller pieces of driftwood and maybe some type of rock. I personally really like lava rock for my tanks. You can grow amazon swords in ten gallons. You just have to keep them trimmed, give them some good light, and fertilize them with root tabs and they'll do great. You could also change out the gravel to some kind of sand that looks more natural looking. I personally like black sand for natural tanks.

OP
airia

airia

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Amazoniantanklvr said:
I'd get ecocomplete or just plain black sand for a more natural look. I'd get rid of the head and fake log and but a piece of driftwood in their place. Then get maybe some dragonstone.

plants for a 10 gal low light
anubias
wisteris
java moss
java fern
bacopa
stargrass
NOT amazon sword. They get huge.
microsword
dwarf sag
ludwigia repens
crypts
I'm reading about Java Fern and it says it can be used on driftwood, if I replaced the head and the log would it be alright to put some of the fern on the wood?

OP
airia

airia

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ahouseofscales said:
You could add some smaller pieces of driftwood and maybe some type of rock. I personally really like lava rock for my tanks. You can grow amazon swords in ten gallons. You just have to keep them trimmed, give them some good light, and fertilize them with root tabs and they'll do great. You could also change out the gravel to some kind of sand that looks more natural looking. I personally like black sand for natural tanks.
Alright thank you so much for your help I really like the look of lava rock!

Amazoniantanklvr said:
Yes! That would be great!
Could you recommend a website to buy live plants? I usually use amazon but a lot of the reviews for Java Moss are saying they arrived with parasites. So i'm not so sure if that's the best place to purchase them.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bruceplant, dustin fish tanks, aquarium coop and imperal tropicals to name a few.

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
airia said:
Could you recommend a website to buy live plants? I usually use amazon but a lot of the reviews for Java Moss are saying they arrived with parasites. So i'm not so sure if that's the best place to purchase them.
Buceplants, aquaticarts and aquariumplantsfactory are my go to online sites.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I sell only 1 beginner plant that you just can't mess up. Its called anarcheris. I'm not sure you can use the BSTF section of the forum yet. You need 50 posts. If you can use it, check it out. Otherwise I'd check out Trins Fish. love there fish and plants.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks pretty natural, that’s a lot of moss balls! What else is real in the tank plant wise? If anything

OP
airia

airia

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TWiG87 said:
Looks pretty natural, that’s a lot of moss balls! What else is real in the tank plant wise? If anything
Yeah I bought them online and only meant to buy 5 but I bought 10 not sure what to do with them. And thoes are the only live I have right now, once the weather warms up id like to get some java moss for the driftwood and micro sword

Attachments

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yea, some live plants will look good. Just make sure you move the moss balls around every few days so they aren’t sitting in the same spot/ on the same side

OP
airia

airia

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Hey, that looks better. What about the old thread?
I tried posting to it to add the new look but it kept saying not found

TWiG87 said:
Yea, some live plants will look good. Just make sure you move the moss balls around every few days so they aren’t sitting in the same spot/ on the same side
He actually helps with that, sometimes I find him pushing them around a bit

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
*Threads have been merged*

New Threads