Betta Buddy Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by kb9plc, Jan 4, 2013.

1. kb9plc

kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

So I have a HM Dumbo Rosetail betta, "Monet." He's in a 6.6 bookshelf tank. The tank itself is heavily planted... thou most of the plants are background plants that have gotten super bushy or foreground plants. There's a couple small chunks of driftwood in there too. Monet plays and hides in his plants a lot.... and is rather dosile. He does come running (ehrm swimming) up to the front of the tank whenever I go near it, looking for food. Thou he's a bit odd with that. The food thang, I mean. He won't come up to the waterline to feed. He either grabs while the pellets are dropping or nips at them when they hit the gravel. His tail fin is straight up in the air a lot at feeding time LOL! Maybe he's just slow :;dk

All that being said, I keep contemplating a tank mate with him. I dunno if the tank is too small to merit a tank mate, or if the general consensus is that it's not worth the risk regardless. Andddd for those of you that have tried a tank mate (other than snails).... what has worked successfully for you?

Not positive if I will do this..... just looking for opinons, really. Making conversation. I know a lot of this goes on a betta to betta basis. :)
    Thanks!

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Right now both my bettas have a pet molly in their tanks. The mollies were put in there when they were fry, about 1/2" long. Now they are up to about 2" so I am going to have to rehome them to the bigger tank soon. But they have worked out well for me and the bettas. Simon likes to chase his once in a while and Louie basically ignores his. And the mollies pick up whatever food drops to the bottom of the tank.

3. mosaicguppyWell Known MemberMember

I have 5 female endlers with my combtail and it's working well. He's really active and it's really cute when they do the food dance together when someone approaches the tank. :)

4. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

*tempted*

:)

5. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

The difference is that you have a 6.6gal tank and you can't really fit a live bearer into that equation. You have no idea how docile your fish will be until you get other fish in the tank with him. In a 6gal tank there isn't much else you could fit fish wise, nothing i would suggest trying. You might try a snail or some shrimp but thats about it.

6. kellyiswicked

kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

I think it's mainly a question of whether you're willing to deal with aggression. I have a hard time watching fish start to get nasty with each other, even if it fizzles out, but I'm sure it doesn't bother others as much. If you're willing to take a little risk and be ready to remove and rehome any uncooperative fish, then just keep doing your research (like you are now) and try to make the best decision for your betta. Remember, the best laid plans of mice and men...

7. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I agree, a 6 is just not big enough for me to endorse adding fish with a betta. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but it's a low percentage setup in my opinion.

8. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

I probably won't. Monet is pretty happy with just him, his jungle and his pond snails. LOL. But was just inquiring if anyone happened to have luck with a particular species combo. The endlers caught my attention because of my limited space/bio load in this tank.

9. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

As long as you have back up plans, whatever they may be, you can try anything. There is just one way to find out if it will work for you or not.

10. soltarianknight

If you have some flow you could try a Bamboo shrimp or 2. Since you have pond snails you could also try assassins.

11. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Pond snails actually have a fairly significant bioload contribution, for tiny snails at least. I was breeding them in my 10 for my assassin snails, meaning I only had small ones (because once they got big enough to pluck, they were relocated), and my HOB couldn't keep up - the tank looked like garbage. Of course I'm not insinuating your tank looks like garbage, but you might not have enough room bioload-wise to add more fish. Also, I agree that a 6.6 isn't really optimal. If it was a 10, maybe, with with 6.6 gallon, there isn't really enough room for the fish to escape each other should they want some "alone time" ;)

Edit: Unfortunately I have to disagree on the bamboo shrimp. A) they get pretty darn big, mine were a few inches long and weren't even full grown. B) they need mature tanks because they feed off of floating particulate. I spot-fed mine Hikari First Bites and even then they still didn't make it. Amano shrimp would probably work though.

12. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

I'm allergic to shrimp, so I probalby wouldn't go that route anyways.... even with gloves, I think I'd be nervous putting my hand in there! Anddddd they kinda creep me out :D

Maybe I'll go with an assassin to oblitherate the pond snails. Thou, once I run out of pond snails (wishful thinking), what do you feed them? Not sure I want to breed pond snails for that reason! LOL!!

So far my HOB seems to be doing A-okay. Thou I am switching it to a mini canister very soon. The HOB noise makes me crazy. Just personal preference, I guess.

13. kinezumi89

If you're interested in assassins, for such a small tank I would go with just one. Then you don't need to worry about breeding. Once you run out of snails you can feed them shrimp pellets. :)

14. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

Have you seen them locally in any stores?

15. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

I have recently put two assassins in with Mordin to help to keep the pond d ail invasion under control and he doesn't bother them at all if anything he kinda seems fascinated with Ezio lol

I do love my snails and I'm still torn about putting in snail killers but Mordin is my priority and one crawled on his tail whilst he was asleep and he completely wigged out I know because he was swimming about shaking his butt about getting it off and that was enough for me to get a natural solution to the ponds

16. kinezumi89

The Aquarium Adventure in Bolingbrook has them :) Though I guess that doesn't count as local to you :p I'm down there all the time.

17. soltarianknight

You could do 2 or 3 assassins, once the pond snails are gone (not likely to happen but still) you can feed veggies and catfish pellets/shrimp pellets and frozen bloodworm. Kinezumi, are you sure the cycle didn't fail from a lack of sufficent ammonia and not an over abundance. I HIGHLY doubt pond snails could do that unless there was serious over feeding and under cleaning going on. I have bred them in a 3gal before.

18. kinezumi89

I never said the cycle failed :;smack I posted a thread about it and the consensus was that the filter wasn't strong enough to pull all the waste out of the water. There was always crud floating around. It's hard to overfeed a betta when you feed him pellet by pellet :p

I was overrun with pond snails and ramshorns in my 55; I added only two snails and within a couple months they were gone. I think two or three is excessive.

19. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

Ugh Bolingbrook. Lol! The drive doesn't bother me but the expressway (quickest route to it) that resides right next to it does! Lol this will have to be a weekend fish (Hermes snail?) romp so I don't end up with road rage. Dang Chicago drivers :)

I may get two. I have another tank with pond snails that I keep pluking. I can't put an assassin in there because it also has mysteries, but I can pluck the ponds and put them in the betta tank for a more natural means of getting rid of them lol

Hmmm I dunno what to say about the filter issue. Mine seems to b a okay with t. Water is super clear. I had an algae issue a while back but I think that was new tank syndrome. It's been all good for quite some time now. And all im using is the hob that came with the bookshelf tank kit. I added colonizing material to it (biomax and sponge) but the filter itself seems to do the job even with all the pond snails. I do plan on switching this to a mini canister thou. The hob noise makes me crazy. Hopefully I won't be causing self any headaches by doing this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice