Betta bubble nest

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by TypicalAqua, Jul 27, 2015.

1. TypicalAqua

TypicalAqua New Member Member

My betta stopped making bubble nest that used to be huge.
    Is he not happy anymore?

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

As long as the tank is the right size, temp, and with good water parameters, I don't see why he would be unhappy. Mine actually made a fairly large bubble nest and then he seems to have lost interest in it, only making a few bubbles at a time now. Unless you're noticing signs sickness or discomfort, I think he's fine, imo. :)

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Has anything changed since then? What size tank is he in? What are the water parameters?

4. BornThisWayBettas

Oh, if you switched filters or turned up the setting to make the flow stronger that might've affected it, just in case you did. Here's a link to an article about it:  

5. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Bettas make bubblenests because they are ready to breed. From what I can tell it seems they stop building nests as they get older, presumably because they are less interested in breeding at that age. Be that as it may, some bettas build huge nests and some never build one. And as mentioned above, they can't build nests in a lot of aquarium setups because there is too much water movement.

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok so it's not because they're not happy but because they were ready to breed?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. BornThisWayBettas

Not ready to breed, but rather, they're happy so they feel ready to breed, and they feel the conditions they're living in are suitable. But just because they don't build bubble nests doesn't mean that they aren't happy, but could mean that they simply don't want to, or maybe the filter current is messing up their bubble nest area, so they don't build them.

8. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

LOL a betta's happiness has nothing to do with his nest building. His health, on the other hand, would play a part.

Literally male bettas build nests as part of their breeding process. It's also their way of claiming a territory in a new tank (or rice field/pool in the wild, etc) and reiterating that territory in the presence of another male.

Most of my males build nests when I put them in their tanks. Given there is no female around for them to breed with, and they can't see other male bettas, they usually stop tending the nest after a few days, with no threats to their territory. So even perfectly healthy bettas don't always have a nest, they only build them when they feel a biological "need" to build them.

9. F

FishtailBraid Valued Member Member

This was helpful to me, as my Smoky hasn't built a nest for a few months now and I was starting to worry. I'm wondering if the cold weather might have something to do with it - of course his tank is heated, and he has a lid so the air immediately above the water should be warmish, but maybe he can detect the different external temperature somehow? I even had to move his tank away from the window recently, as even with the heater set at 26.5C, the thermometer was sometimes as low as 24C!

10. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

They detect pressure changes for sure. Bet you anything, when a storm rolls in, folks will be seeing bubblenests all over!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice