Betta Breeds To Avoid? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by astridiius, Apr 23, 2019.

1. astridiiusNew MemberMember

Hey! It's me again here with another betta question. I recently just had to euthanize my last betta, Lance, because his tumor was getting worse every day and I couldn't let myself just let him suffer.

Anyways, I wanted to get another betta later in the future and I wanted to make sure it doesn't have any mutations that will hinder its life. I can sadly only get mine from Petco or Petsmart, and of course, they do not have the best of selections. So my question goes to ask...

What breeds should I look out for? I know for sure dragon scale since they get tumors... But are there any others as well?

2. midnaWell Known MemberMember

dumbos/elephant ears are also susceptible to tumors. rosetails have fin problems. double tails have stunted bodies. i'd personally go for a plakat betta

3. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Rosetails have a LOT of fin problems, like mine sprouted 40smthn ventral fins then one fell out. Doubletails hsve a lot of health issues aside from the body size, I wouldn't get one of those. I agree with the plakat. Petco/petsmart started getting in some nice koi plakats, those could be an option

4. astridiiusNew MemberMember

Thanks!! I’ve been getting into plakats a lot lately, so I’ll probably end up getting one !

Whoa! That’s horrible! I wish mutated genes didn’t come with so many health problems because they are always the prettiest :( I’ll probably end up getting a plakat since I’ve been pretty interested in them lately!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2019
  5. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

I mean to be real, every single betta.
    Double tails are the worst, crowntail females bodies are horrible, ive seen some weird new veil tails that are smaller, halfmoons pron to fin rot, metallics tend to get tumors and well plakats seem to be fine. It used to be females all but the crowntail seemed fine. My females used to have a nice body form and finnage from petsmart! After many months i went back in and saw skinny females, stunted, and their fins are super small.

6. astridiiusNew MemberMember

Yes.. it’s so sad nowadays! I think most of the betas at my Petco and prtsmarts are usually dumbo half moons or regular half moons, it’s pretty rare to find anymore natural ones like plakats and crowntail males over here :(

7. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

Thanks for this great question!

8. KoiBettasValued MemberMember

I would say go for a plakat betta aswell. They won't have any fin problems most of the times but don't go for a plakat crowntail

9. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, it's awful, but it also is super interesting because I've never seen anything like that before... Hope not to see it again

10. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Don't do rosetails, they have fin problems, as everyone said, double tails have body problems, personally I think veiltails are fine, I have one and he has zero problems, plakats are probably the way to go

11. MorosithValued MemberMember

In my personal experience, plakats have always been the healthiest, toughest bettas I've ever owned.

Edit: On top of health, I personally think plakats are the best looking bettas as well. :)

12. astridiiusNew MemberMember

Oh wow, Ive honestly never heard of a crowntail plakat, but I mean I can’t say much since I’ve really only been in the hobby for like 1 and half years

Yesss! Plakats are so pretty, and I really love spadetail plakats. There was one at my Petco one time and it was the liveliest one there!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2019
  13. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ofc, wilds are going to be the healthiest, but that's not a PetSmart option unfortunately... Actually, take that back, that is fortunate because they'd just stick them in cups and kill them

14. AquilistWell Known MemberMember

From my experience, crown tails get fintrot really easily. Something about the thinner, more brittle fins being more susceptible to bacterial infection. My crowntail developed chronic fin rot and never grew his fins back for over 6 months.

15. Smack442Valued MemberMember

I figured crown tails got fin rot easily because of the increased surface area created by the spikes. Making it easier for the bacteria to attach and start growing.

Also thank you for making this thread. Great question and very informative responses.

16. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Well, evolution produced a fish that lived and functioned perfectly in its environment. Then we came along and decided to "improve" upon nature; breeders choose the fish with the longest fins, or the most misshapen bodies, and specifically select them to breed together to "fix" these characteristics and create a unique "breed".

But what we're really doing is choosing the least viable fish...the ones that would never survive in nature and would be quickly weeded out before they could pass on those defective genes. Goldfish are probably the worst examples of this; we created breeds that have missing fins, other fins so comically enlarged that they can barely swim, distended eyes that impede their ability to see, tumour-like growths on their heads that interfere with feeding or even seeing where they are going, bent spines and distorted bodies...and then we point at these monstrosities awkwardly squirming their way through the water and say "Cool! Look what I did!" as if it's something to be proud of.

Bettas are going the same way. We are subjecting them to the same process of "de-evolution" by choosing what would be considered in nature to be defective, unviable specimens, and then encouraging the perpetuation and magnification of the defects. How can it be any wonder that all sorts of unexpected problems will show up? It's like taking a new car straight from the factory, deciding to install a stereo in it yourself, cutting a bunch of wires behind the dashboard and screwing them together without knowing what you are doing, and then...when nothing works anymore...saying "Gee...I wonder what happened? Nice sound system though..."

Back to work now...rant mode off...:)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  17. astridiiusNew MemberMember

Yes, I completely agree! Artificial selection may make animals look prettier for our entertainment, but we never really pay close attention to their health. What benefits? What downfalls? It’s always just looks and that really relates to us humans as well :( this was a nice rant to see because it wasn’t very aggressive just stating facts !

18. astridiiusNew MemberMember

Ah yes, I completely understand. It seems to be that way with regular crowntails as well, as one of mine got fin rot. But then again he came from Walmart so.... :rolleyes: and no problem! I just like to be more educated on things like this!

19. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Now that's something you don't hear too often...:)

20. astridiiusNew MemberMember

Oh man I didn’t even see this reply, sorry! I completely agree, I’m so glad that chain pet stores don’t carry them, they are the original and the prettiest :)