4. Cory

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Goldfish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 13fishy wishes

13fishy wishes Valued Member Member

Hey I am completely new to like all fish breeding .
    I own a really pretty purple/blue betta male and would like to breed him with a female ,but I have no clue how to go about it . soo all advice is needed . (I do not yet have a female or tank for her . if y'all suggest trying then I'll get her .) I also need tank suggestions !
    thanks !:)

2. jenmur

jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have about 300 small tanks with heaters and filters for all the fry which have to be separated? Time for feeding and water changes? There is a thread specifically for bettas and they have information on betta breeding. Sometimes the male and female can kill each other if they aren't ready if the injuries are severe enough.

Advertisement

3. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

The best way to breed bettas as a brand new fish keeper is this: dont.

Betta breeding produces 100s of fry and will cost you just under a $grand in the long run, never mind distribution and almost sure death off at least one of the parents during spawning.

I suggest you get some very pretty live-bearers like guppies or mollies. They are super easy to care for, will breed if you let them be, and produce beautiful babies. :)

Advertisement

4. UniqueShark

UniqueShark Well Known Member Member

Don't breed them.

5. OP
    OP
    13fishy wishes

OK . could you tell me why ?

OK thanks . I will just stick to guppies then

6. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I say bettas are the best SPECIES of that list but not the best to try breeding. Corydoras would be the best IMO to breed from that list.

7. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Good on you! :)

If you want to be fancy about them, go to your LFS for some fancy strains. Chain stores carry semi-poor quality common strains only.

8. OP
    OP
    13fishy wishes

Thanks ! Really helpful! Everyone !

9. UniqueShark

UniqueShark Well Known Member Member

Beginners, or anyone who isn't set up for this, can't do water changes on a 100 jars daily

10. OP
    OP
    13fishy wishes

Quite true !

Advertisement