Betta Breeding

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Joshhess11, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Joshhess11New MemberMember

Hey, so yesterday I put my male and female in a 5 gallon tank with a heater, the male built a small bubble nest and then today I released the female out of the jar and they started chasing and fighting and what not, now they are just sitting there, not doing anything at all, it's been 2 and a half hours since I released the female in there, is it completely normal?

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Did you get the bettas from the pet store? Most of the time, those are too old to breed.

3. Joshhess11New MemberMember

Yeah I did about a week ago, they seemed rather small at first, but they grew in a week

He also destroyed his bubble best like 20 min ago and he is starting to build a new one, why would he do that?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  4. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

5. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Sometimes they just do that. Fish are weird. I had one that built a bubblenest as soon as he saw the female, then destroyed it when I released her, then built another one and destroyed it when their spawn failed. Rinse and repeat.

Like I said, fish are weird.

6. _Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

Yeah, and unfortunately they don't spawn on demand, often don't get around to it the first day, or even the second, I usually separate them before the 3rd day though, so often they just don't spawn for no apparent reason.

7. Joshhess11New MemberMember

Thanks!!

8. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    I hope you enjoy the forum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice