Betta Breeding/Selling

lilmissalis

Hi! I'm really interested in breeding my bettas and selling the fry but I don't know how to get started on selling them. There isn't many local fish stores near me, so I was thinking of selling them on a personal website, what do ya'll think? I could really use some tips and advice, anything helps.
Thank you

SM1199

You'll need some high-quality bettas to be able to sell them online, where people have to pay much more just for shipping than they would for a fish from Petco. You would also probably want to go through somewhere like eBay or Aquabid that has a lot more traffic than a personal website and is much easier to give/receive payment on, but you could definitely also have a personal website to back up what you sell on other sites.

Another option is to sell locally via something like Craigslist. I have personally gotten a lot of attention and sold many fish through Craigslist, and no shipping payment is required.

I think, for now, don't get too ahead of yourself just yet - buy a nice pair of bettas, make sure you have everything you need for breeding plus growing out fry, and give it a shot. It might take a few spawns of practice before you get confident enough to sell your stock, and then you might want to practice selling locally before you feel like your stock is high-quality enough to sell online.

Good luck!

lilmissalis

Thank you so much! What would you say is the betta with the most demand right now?

RDcompton03

Just wondering what you will do with the excess that you are unable to sell?

lilmissalis

I'm still trying to figure that out, that's why I want to learn as much as I can about the trade before I begin

SM1199

Thank you so much! What would you say is the betta with the most demand right now?
The koi/marble/nemo varieties are very "in" right now. But the thing is, just having that coloration down isn't enough to make a sale-worthy betta - they also need to be to show-quality standards, which takes a lot of practice to recognize. You could do some research on how to judge bettas, maybe find some people to talk to who breed and show bettas. That's also why I said it's good to practice first and sell locally for a while, because it'll fine-tune your eye for what betta is high-quality (worth buying online) versus not before you go trying to sell them online.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
christiangrenier
Replies
Views
Sean Smith
Replies
Views