Betta Breeding Questions - Page 9

AcuarioAmazonico

Thanks. That’s what I did. She’s been on the other side of a clear divider for a couple of weeks eating well. He’s built a nest which is uncommon but it’s thicker and studied than usual. I’ve not seen huge interest from her yet so will wait but was hoping to “open the gates” and then close them when need be. She’ll then go back to original home. If I get fry great and will try best but if I don’t - not the worst thing: wouldnt know what to do with them anyway hahha

Benji5050

Thanks. That’s what I did. She’s been on the other side of a clear divider for a couple of weeks eating well. He’s built a nest which is uncommon but it’s thicker and studied than usual. I’ve not seen huge interest from her yet so will wait but was hoping to “open the gates” and then close them when need be. She’ll then go back to original home. If I get fry great and will try best but if I don’t - not the worst thing: wouldnt know what to do with them anyway hahha

Could you maybe post a pic of them?

AcuarioAmazonico

Could you maybe post a pic of them?
Urgh! That was hard lol

it’s nighttime here so I can't get the light right. This is best I could do. She was hiding a fair bit - but watching him and interested in his actions. He seems to be peacocking for her and tending to his nest (though I may well be mistaken)
You must be registered to see images

AcuarioAmazonico

Shes watching him through the gap. I just got a pic. Still blurry

Demeter

With a girl her color you should be able to see breeding stripes. They are vertical bars that appear when the females are receptive of the male. Not all dark colored bettas will have them but most do. Forgot to mention that earlier cuz most the bettas I spawn are light colored where you can’t see the bars.

AcuarioAmazonico

I’ve been looking for them. She’s keen to watch but not wiggle no interest in the next step. I’m off to work so she’s been put back into her home and he’ll just have to make do alone.

I have no plans on getting any more betta so maybe we’ll try again in a few weeks after some more good feed for her

AcuarioAmazonico

So I was talking to a few people at work today about my failed attempt with match making - I’m no yenta.

Anywho a guy at work who lives down the road from me said he had heaps of fish (nice to know) and female bettas. He said he liked the colour of mine and the size (she’s small) and that she was a half moon (she was?!). He offered to swap for one of his. I stopped off at his and swapped (he collected mine straight after). His set up was amazing and QT tanks etc. pleasant surprise.

Anywho: I have full qt tank atm (had to buy extra!) so I took a gamble and put her straight in. All I have is the split tank with the male (she will not go into community tank like the other without qt - that’s too much of a risk).
I put an extra layer or two of egg crate to minimize visuals and disturbance of the other betta - but she seemed very interested immediately and he of course did too. Are these those breeding lines you meant? She is wiggling all over (poor fella has no best as I disturbed it. I’ll be doing nothing for a couple of weeks but if they seem keen should I seize the day?

Bettaboo123

HI all! So I’ve been keeping bettas for a while now, but have more recently decided to try my hand at breeding. My pair has been previously conditioned and have now been in the breeding tank for about a week. The two get along really well with no fighting and minimal nipping. They still seem really interested in each other, however, I’m curious if it is supposed to take this long. Everything is going really smoothly, yet still no eggs. Is there a point where I should give up with this pair? Any advice would be great, thank you!

PascalKrypt

No, it isn't supposed to take that long. How exactly do they get along - do they show interest in each other at all? Does the male chase the female, or the other way around? Do you see breeding stripes on the female?

How old are the betta? Do you have pictures?

If they have been together a week and there's no action, I would separate for a few days. Has the male made any attempts to build a bubble nest, at least? How big is the tank?

Amazoniantanklvr

Demeter
Dewclaw83

Bettaboo123

Thanks for the quick response! They don’t fight at all which is good. The male chases the female sometimes and they like to swim next to each other. He does still flare at her too. The female is really lightly colored so breeding stripes are difficult to see. The male built a relatively large bubble nest that he has been maintaining and still lures her too, however, it has been getting smaller. The tank is a 10 gallon.

PascalKrypt

Thanks for the quick response! They don’t fight at all which is good. The male chases the female sometimes and they like to swim next to each other. He does still flare at her too. The female is really lightly colored so breeding stripes are difficult to see. The male built a relatively large bubble nest that he has been maintaining and still lures her too, however, it has been getting smaller. The tank is a 10 gallon.
Are you sure they are at least 6 months old? How long have you had them?

Hmm, could be that the female just doesn't fancy him. I've had one male like this who was perfectly courteous which somehow seemed to be a turn-off as all the girls pulled their noses at him and refused to breed...
I'd separate them for now, condition a bit, try again in a week. If still no cigar, they may just not make a good match. It happens.

Demeter

It should only take a couple days at most for them to spawn. Can you explain the setup (tank size, temp, decor etc)? Can you post some pictures of the pair?

An old or possibly unattractive male won't be appareling to a female, I've had females completely refuse certain males. It's just how they are sometimes.

If find better success when using a tank divider in a 10gal tank. The pair are kept on separate sides for a few days until the male builds a nest and the female shows interest. I move the female over to the male's side and usually have eggs within a day. If they don't spawn by the end of the day I put her back on the other side and the next day she is often ready to go.

Bettaboo123

Yes they both are fully grown and I’ve had them for about two months.

Thanks for the help. I’ll try that and see what happens. It’s so unfortunate they aren’t breeding; they’d make such pretty babies!

UrSunRae

Hi everyone! My girlfriend and I are trying to breed our bettas.
everything was going great! we setup our tank, the male built his bubble nest, we introduced our female.... six hours later, nothing.

They flare at each other and chase- he dances, shows off, and adds bubbles now and then- she’s barring, she has an egg spot. But they just keep chasing and chasing and never do that final dance and breed! What’re we doing wrong? Any advice?

Readings:
Nitrate- 0
Nitrate- 0
PH- 7
KH- 40
GH- 180

AquaCaitlin

Hello!
first off- Your water level will need to be 4-5 inches.

second- I’m assuming you’ve done lots of tease arch and prepared very small live foods

third- tannins. Tannins work wonders in betta breeding.

and lastly, how long did they get to see eachother before you put them together?

UrSunRae

Hello!
first off- Your water level will need to be 4-5 inches.

second- I’m assuming you’ve done lots of tease arch and prepared very small live foods

third- tannins. Tannins work wonders in betta breeding.

and lastly, how long did they get to see eachother before you put them together?

The male and female had tanks next to one another for about two days, and we’ve been floating the cup with the female for about 24 hours- not counting that we just put her back into the cup after 6 hours and no successful breeding.
At the moment the male is wiggling all around the cup but the female doesn’t seem to be noticing, despite still being striped, flaring, and sporting an egg spot.
we’re worried about lowering the water because the nest would get messed up
And we’re prepped with food for the fry once they hatch

I’m not sure what you mean by tannins

SM1199

The male and female had tanks next to one another for about two days, and we’ve been floating the cup with the female for about 24 hours- not counting that we just put her back into the cup after 6 hours and no successful breeding.
At the moment the male is wiggling all around the cup but the female doesn’t seem to be noticing, despite still being striped, flaring, and sporting an egg spot.

Sometimes it just takes a while. I would wait overnight and see if they've bred by tomorrow. Oftentimes, they prefer to breed when the lights are out.

If by tomorrow they still haven't bred, I would remove the female, continue conditioning them (assuming you were doing this already), drop the water level, re-introduce the female with the floating cup method, let him re-build his nest, and try again. When the nest is so high and out of reach, the females aren't inclined to swim all the way up there in the open water. It also confines the space that they have to move around in (aka, goof off in).

When I bred bettas for the first time, these were the two points that caused hiccups for me too. I didn't realize it could take quite some time, and also didn't realize that by giving them too much water space (1/2 filled 20 gallon at the time) they were able to "forget" about each other and go on doing their own things. I confined them to a smaller space (put a divider in the 20 gallon) and turned out the lights, and had eggs soon after!

AquaCaitlin

Tannins are (imo) essential to betta breeding. It is basically tea. The best ways to get tannins in your aquarium is from driftwood, indian almond leaves, or dried oak leaves.

In the most recent time I bred my bettas they didn’t want to breed. I eventually put the female in a breeding box, left her in there for 5 days, and let her out. They bred within5 minutes.

Have you conditioned the pair with live or frozen foods? If so, how long?

Also, I am a little worried by how the male’s tail looks in the picture. Was it like that before breeding?

Demeter

Courtship and spawning takes at least a day, often two, after putting the two together. If my pair doesnt spawn the day they are together, usually the get to it the following morning. I usually keep a pair in a slip 10gal for several days before moving the female to the male’s side, this produces the fastest result and minimal harm to the female.

That tank looks very tall, you’ll only want about 4-6in of water in there. Also, tannin is greatly appreciated by bettas to think about getting some Indian almond leaves for them. The leaves will also provide infusoria for the fry to eat, so another plus.

Something that sticks out to me in the pictures, the female look a fair bit larger in body side than the male, this is something to avoid. You want the female a little smaller than the male or the same size. This is because a small male may not be capable of “wrapping” the female properly.

As for fry food, you best have live foods prepared or the fry will starve. They will not eat food that isn’t moving. I feed micro worms and baby brine shrimp.

UrSunRae

Update Time!
Day three and they’re finally breeding! We lowered the water level to about 5½ inches and turned off the room lights. They’ve been going for an hour and a half! Both are helping to position the eggs as well, it’s wonderful
Thanks for all the advice from everyone ♡

just to note on some concerns-
•The bettas are about the same size. The female is a little smaller.
•The male’s tail is not ripped, he’s a veil tail. If anyone has a ripped fin it’s the female, and we’ll be treating her as soon as she’s out of the breeding tank.
•we’ve got fry food prepared ♡

thank you again for all the help and advice!

AquaCaitlin

Yay! Now you’re onto the hard part, raising the fry. Be prepared for a lot of water changes!!

foxtrot

tannins are a plant

PhoenixBettas

Tannins are what stains the water a tea color when you add bark/wood/dried leaves. If your PH is too high it's bad for the egg and bubble nest health. To soften the water/reduce PH add a piece of bark, indian almond leaves, or dried leaves from the great outdoors. Like others said- your fry will ABSOLTUELY DIE in water that deep. Please look at videos of bettas in their natural habitat and youtube videos of other people breeding bettas.

Look for signs the male is ready, that the female is ready, introduce them correctly, so on. I replied in great detail to other posters recently and it might help you out.

Jacobthefoshluver

So I’m trying to breed my betta fish and I’m going through all the steps at the moment right now they are that meeting stage when my female is just being shown. I also believe that is when the male makes his bubble nest. So it’s been 24 hours and he’s made a bubble nest but the weird thing is the bubble nest is very spread out just bubbles everywhere there are clusters of bubbles but not really like an occasional bubble nest and there is barely any flow in the tank. So it would be great if someone would give me some advice. Thanks

Demeter

Does he have something to make the nest under? I always use a few fresh leaves, either Indian almond or oak leaves collected after they’ve fallen. Leaves will float for a couple days and if he decided to build his nest under a leaf it will float as long as there’s bubbles under it.

Also, you said barely any flow, there needs to be no surface agitation as that will scatter and pop the nest. I usually have my male on one side of a divider in a 10gal when spawning. The sponge filter is on the opposite side set on low, the divider eliminates surface movement on his side.

Jacobthefoshluver

Does he have something to make the nest under? I always use a few fresh leaves, either Indian almond or oak leaves collected after they’ve fallen. Leaves will float for a couple days and if he decided to build his nest under a leaf it will float as long as there’s bubbles under it.

Also, you said barely any flow, there needs to be no surface agitation as that will scatter and pop the nest. I usually have my male on one side of a divider in a 10gal when spawning. The sponge filter is on the opposite side set on low, the divider eliminates surface movement on his side.
Thanks for the help and I do have some almond leaves I’ll keep an eye on it

Jacobthefoshluver

So I’m greeting my betta fish and the male has made a bubble nest and they are in the same tank together already so I’m wondering do I feed them?

Livebearer08

Yes

agnelochirst

so basically, i have had a betta that still has her eggs in her and its be 2-3 months. i guess i accidentally put her into to warm of water, because she didnt have any tank mates so i dont know what else would have caused this. any way i got a male betta witch he mad a bubble nest a few times, either was not humid enough for it to stay or it would take so long for them that i would be forced to do a water change and mess up the nest (witch i would try not to but he would get mad). he ended up dying by pinning himself in between a rock and the side of the tank right after i left the house. i got a second male, but they werent compatible, i noticed it was stressing both of them out and they started fighting so i had to separate. im on to my third male, and she is picking fights. which she never use to do. she also just keeps on getting bigger. any way over all my question is how long can she keep these eggs till it becomes toxic.

sorry, its really late and i dont want to fix my punctuation.

jkkgron2

Ok, male and female bettas should never be in tanks together. Unless carefully supervised for a small period of time for breeding. You’ll need two tanks for both the male and the female. Make sure you’re Feeding frozen food along with there normal diet to help condition them.

After giving them some rest for about a month after you separated them then I think you could try breeding her. First, you want to float her in the males tank using a clear cup that has something on the top to prevent her jumping out so that he sees her but they can’t reach each other, keep her in for a max of 30 minutes . Repeating this introduction twice daily for a week or so should be enough to get the male to build a bubble nest. After a week add the female in and watch her. Don’t leave if she’s in there. Once they’ve mated (or if they start fighting badly) and she’s dropped eggs then you can remove her.

agnelochirst

Ok, male and female bettas should never be in tanks together. Unless carefully supervised for a small period of time for breeding. You’ll need two tanks for both the male and the female. Make sure you’re Feeding frozen food along with there normal diet to help condition them.

After giving them some rest for about a month after you separated them then I think you could try breeding her. First, you want to float her in the males tank using a clear cup that has something on the top to prevent her jumping out so that he sees her but they can’t reach each other, keep her in for a max of 30 minutes . Repeating this introduction twice daily for a week or so should be enough to get the male to build a bubble nest. After a week add the female in and watch her. Don’t leave if she’s in there. Once they’ve mated (or if they start fighting badly) and she’s dropped eggs then you can remove her.

thanks for the info. i didnt think it was bad to put female with male since i had a pair like that before-( they lived to full age). i will try the introduction method that you said for sure, although if you could help with one other thing. i took the second male that she had out and my brother takes care of him. hes building a bubble nest in his temp tank. should i move him to his new one and introduce them there i should i stick with the new young male i got? but over all thanks for the advice.

jkkgron2

thanks for the info. i didnt think it was bad to put female with male since i had a pair like that before-( they lived to full age). i will try the introduction method that you said for sure, although if you could help with one other thing. i took the second male that she had out and my brother takes care of him. hes building a bubble nest in his temp tank. should i move him to his new one and introduce them there i should i stick with the new young male i got? but over all thanks for the advice.
Either would be fine, just make sure to feed them frozen foods along with high to condition them.

Natabettas

Hey. Me again. I’ve been looking into betta breeding for about a year now, have had many many chats with experienced breeders and I think I am finally ready to breed. I have found the space and set aside money for the foods, bins, water conditioner for their daily changes and I am home all day everyday. I have conditioned two pairs of bettas (they were imported to me from breeders ) and I put a pair together (female in the clear breeding box for the night) and the male built a nice large nest. I let the female out about 4 hours ago. All that has happened since then is she has been chasing him. This is their first time so could anyone help me out on. What to expect? Should I just leave them see if they work something out? Neither are being nippy just she is chasing him around. Thanks.

veggieshark

Did they show interest in each other before you released the female? Is she larger than the male and how old are they?

Natabettas

he was showing off to her and she was watching him, sometimes flaring back and fluffing up her fins. She’s smaller than him and they’re about 5-6 months old

Natabettas

Well they must have sorted it out. I woke up today and they were chilling in the terracotta pot and then spawned. Nest has lots of eggs. Papa fish is guarding his nest and babies and mama has returned to her normal tank

Yumi9001

My fish have been conditioned for a while and i setup the tank with a heater and sponge filter. They have been doing the embrace and everything was going great until i noticed that my male wont pick up the eggs.

My female does it instead of him its been 30 minutes so far. Is this normal?

bcsay720

Is he a first time dad? My male honey gourami has only had two batches of eggs so far. He dropped almost all the eggs the first time before they hatched. This time, he dropped almost all the babies after they hatched. It could just be that he is still young and doesn't really get it yet.

Is he guarding the nest now that the eggs are there?

Yumi9001

He is, and i just saw him picking up a lot of eggs so I'm glad. I was slightly worried because i thought the elephant ear bettas i chose would just smack the eggs with his fin ☺

bcsay720

I was definitely surprised to see how meticulous my gourami was with the eggs and the babies (when he didn't fall asleep on the job, but I know he was exhausted).

I've never bred bettas, but I've heard on here that new betta dads also sometimes eat their eggs, so be on the lookout for that. Don't you wish you could just give these poor little guys a parenting class or something?

Yumi9001

Definitely. They always have me worried about everything like a helicopter parent. I almost thought my female was eating her eggs at one point but she was doing a better job than the male!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Dewclaw83
Replies
Views
honeyyyy
Replies
Views