Betta Breeding Question?

1. K

Kaleigh Beach New Member Member

hi I’ve had Betta Fish since I was a young girl, but I’m new to the breeding process. I’m curious about cross breeding and how that would turn out? I have everything set up, but trying to pick a good breeding pair confuses me a bit. What would a rosetail Halfmoon male and a Halfmoon plakat produce? They both have the same coloring and are galaxy koi with colors Purple, orange, black, red and white. I’m just curious about what offspring they could produce and if they make a good match for breeding?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

You can cross breed bettas among different species, but it's not recommend. However, if your talking about breeding differnt morphs, you almost always half to. If you were to breed a rosetail halfmoon to a halfmoon plakat, you would mostly get halfmoon plakats. Plakat is a dominant gene. Rosetail is recessive. As for colors, your probably going to get alot of high content red. Could you post a picture of the fish, it will help with any other traits not listed. If you have any questions about breeding, i've done it for over 10 years so just ask if you have questions.

3. KakeHugs

KakeHugs Well Known Member Member

I bred a plakat with a long fin and most of the babies have longer fins so Im not sold on the whole plakat is a dominant gene. I think you'll end up with longer finned babies with some extra branding on the fins (from the rosetail)
    If theyre both kois most of the babies will probably end up as kois.
    We need photos to decide if they're a good match still:)
    @Kaleigh Beach