Betta breeding help

Benji5050

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I introduce the female to the male in a breeder box. How long would it take her to actually become ready and have eggs inside her? It is the first time ever that she has seen a male.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yo need to slowly introduce them a few times before you releases the female. Every day or so, net out the female and make sure that they can see each other. When the male makes a bubble nest and it stays intact you can release the female. Monitor them closely

Benji5050

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@david1978 the male is in a 10G. Any tips on how to introduce them?
Neither of them has ever spawned before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PS the female is currently in a 7.5G self-made planted tank.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you're planning on breeding, then shouldn't just be introducing them. You also have to condition both the male and female for several weeks before either can spawn. It's to help the female produce eggs and it prepares the male for the strenuous spawning and egg rearing process.

@Demeter can be of more help.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tips? Not really in 3 years of keeping them together have had exactly 1 born in my tank.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
After conditioning with high protein food (I use live white worms), set up the spawn tank with some leaf litter.

I always use a tank divider in a 10gal. Keep them on separate sides and move the female to his side when she gets plump and he has a nest. A willing female will be trying to get to his side from across the divider. If she wiggles at him then you know she is receptive.

MelbourneGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do they need to go into a breeder tank or can you not use the existing tank - just either remove divider or put her in his side?

He has a nice bubble nest in there now. I’m not actually fussed onthem breeding (would be cool to see what fry looked like) but they both seem keen and who am I to stop young love!

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depends on how the existing tank is set up. Generally the breeder tank should be half full, bare bottom with a heater, weak sponge filter and some leaves and plants. But...

I actually just use a fully established and decorated 10gal completes with drift wood, live plants, snails and shrimp. It has produced many little bettas this way. I usually start conditioning them separately for a week or so, then put them in the divided tank and keep conditioning till the female is interested and the male has a nest.

If they are already interested in each other then let the female out and see what she does.

Hope you have live food cultures for the fry. I use micro worms and baby brine shrimp till I can wean them onto micro pellets.

MelbourneGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That’s what I did. She’s been on the other side of a clear divider for a couple of weeks eating well. He’s built a nest which is uncommon but it’s thicker and studied than usual. I’ve not seen huge interest from her yet so will wait but was hoping to “open the gates” and then close them when need be. She’ll then go back to original home. If I get fry great and will try best but if I don’t - not the worst thing: wouldnt know what to do with them anyway hahha

Benji5050

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks. That’s what I did. She’s been on the other side of a clear divider for a couple of weeks eating well. He’s built a nest which is uncommon but it’s thicker and studied than usual. I’ve not seen huge interest from her yet so will wait but was hoping to “open the gates” and then close them when need be. She’ll then go back to original home. If I get fry great and will try best but if I don’t - not the worst thing: wouldnt know what to do with them anyway hahha
Could you maybe post a pic of them? :)

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
With a girl her color you should be able to see breeding stripes. They are vertical bars that appear when the females are receptive of the male. Not all dark colored bettas will have them but most do. Forgot to mention that earlier cuz most the bettas I spawn are light colored where you can’t see the bars.

MelbourneGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for them. She’s keen to watch but not wiggle no interest in the next step. I’m off to work so she’s been put back into her home and he’ll just have to make do alone.

I have no plans on getting any more betta so maybe we’ll try again in a few weeks after some more good feed for her :)

MelbourneGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I was talking to a few people at work today about my failed attempt with match making - I’m no yenta.

Anywho a guy at work who lives down the road from me said he had heaps of fish (nice to know) and female bettas. He said he liked the colour of mine and the size (she’s small) and that she was a half moon (she was?!). He offered to swap for one of his. I stopped off at his and swapped (he collected mine straight after). His set up was amazing and QT tanks etc. pleasant surprise.

Anywho: I have full qt tank atm (had to buy extra!) so I took a gamble and put her straight in. All I have is the split tank with the male (she will not go into community tank like the other without qt - that’s too much of a risk).
I put an extra layer or two of egg crate to minimize visuals and disturbance of the other betta - but she seemed very interested immediately and he of course did too. Are these those breeding lines you meant? She is wiggling all over (poor fella has no best as I disturbed it. I’ll be doing nothing for a couple of weeks but if they seem keen should I seize the day?
B3A71C5F-963B-4852-AB4B-08C990938D48.jpeg
C551A0D8-8BAA-4A77-9EEC-45652772B7F4.jpeg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom