Betta breathing weird/stringy poop - Update, worsening

Analisemcg

So I bought this betta yesterday, and introduced him into my community tank.
(Won’t be permanent setup) and he is swimming around and exploring, but I noticed something about his gills. You can see their shape is odd in the photo. He has been in a cup at petco for a few months.. so could it be from ammonia burns or something? When he breathes they rise and sink, which made me think gill flukes.. what should I do?

Parameters are fine,

0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrite
I don’t remember but I think nitrates are either 5-10.

So I bought this betta yesterday, and introduced him into my community tank.
(Won’t be permanent setup) and he is swimming around and exploring, but I noticed something about his gills. You can see their shape is odd in the photo. He has been in a cup at petco for a few months.. so could it be from ammonia burns or something? When he breathes they rise and sink, which made me think gill flukes.. what should I do?

Parameters are fine,

0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrite
I don’t remember but I think nitrates are either 5-10.

gonna respond to myself because it may get it back on recents

Attachments

• 9A46D342-F29A-4483-946A-539D49CEE8EC.jpeg
    9A46D342-F29A-4483-946A-539D49CEE8EC.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 41

BigManAquatics

I would keep the water good and clean, should help if ammonia burns. Flukes would probably require meds like general cure or paracleanse, most likely.

Upvote 0

Analisemcg

I would keep the water good and clean, should help if ammonia burns. Flukes would probably require meds like general cure or paracleanse, most likely.

Do you think it’s flukes?

Upvote 0

Analisemcg

So I bought a a betta a few days ago, I knew he was sickly but I couldn’t stand to let him die in a petco cup. I bought him, and put him in my 7.5 gal that recently finished up cycling. I thought he had gill flukes due to discoloration of the gills and I could see him struggling to breathe. His condition is worsening, today he has barely moved, and he has very stringy white poop. Prazipro should be here tomorrow.. but could it be an internal parasite instead? Any ideas?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Prazipro should take care of internal parasites. Meds like prazipro, general cure and paracleanse are mainly for internal parasites and some external parasites, at least thats what they advertise and all have pretty much the same active ingredients.

Upvote 0

Analisemcg

Prazipro should take care of internal parasites. Meds like prazipro, general cure and paracleanse are mainly for internal parasites and some external parasites, at least thats what they advertise and all have pretty much the same active ingredients.

thats great to hear, thank you.

Upvote 0

Analisemcg

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 7.5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 2 months (?)
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 79
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) male betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? Imaginarium water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?yes
What do you use to test the water? Ammonia test with the bottles and 5-1 strips (getting freshwater master test kit soon hopefully)
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: don’t remember and I’m out of strips but probably 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day, but he hasn’t eaten in 3 days
How much do you feed your fish? One pellet if he will eat it
What brand of food do you feed your fish? New life spectrum, omega one, bug bites.
Do you feed frozen? Yes, brine and blood worms
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? About 1-2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? When I bought him
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
trouble breathing, pink gills, lethargic, but his scaled are pineconing badly which is new. Have you started any treatment for the illness? Prazipro
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Yes
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? His condition is worsening, little to no movement, gills flaring rapidly and pineconing. I removed him and I’m about to do a bath in prazipro

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) when I bought him he was lethargic and occasionally did the gill flare. It is getting worse though, little to no movement, gills flaring rapidly and pineconing. I removed him and I’m about to do a bath in prazipro if you think that’s a good idea.

what can I do to help him? I’m worried he won’t make it through tonight.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0

Analisemcg

Have you considered dropsy?
Today is the first day I’ve seen pineconing or any bloat, he has been pencil thin other wise but I’m considering it now. What could I do to treat that?

Upvote 0

Eaton

Sorry I’m not really sure how to treat it I just saw this post and It looked similar to what happened when my apistogramma had dropsy
Maybe someone else could help?

Upvote 0

Analisemcg

Well he passed away last night, I figured he would :( but I’d like some help determining what he had so I can diagnose this stuff in the future. His stomach turned an odd yellow color after he died if that changes anything??

I’ll be putting a picture of his body below!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Fisch

Sad to read these news. In my eyes he looks very malnourished.
Good for you to take him on and trying to provide him with the best environment possible, sometimes we are just a little too late.

Upvote 0

Eaton

Sorry I couldn’t help

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
KatieDid
Replies
Views
Megabeth