Betta boy driving me nuts

1. ccb04 Well Known Member Member

My Betta boy (cup said halfmoon ... looks like he could be delta though) I rescued from Petco a bit back is driving me nuts. He simply does not like to be in a glass tank ... and it only worsens with the light on.

He get's too stressed in a glass tank, seeing his reflection is certainly part of it. Giving him time to adjust didn't work ... nor did using backgrounds, etc. I bought him his own 5.5g complete with Stealth heater, filter, etc. I've also had him in a 10g. He didn't like either! Matter of fact, I recently tried him in the 5.5g again ... and he became so stressed, his tail split in several areas. He's a vivd blue/purple ... and HAD nice tail finnage.

The ONLY thing he's liked and appears comfortable in ... is a 4 gallon white bucket. The bucket has decent dimensions (16" L X 10 1/2" W X 10" H). He can't see his reflection ... and there's obviously no lighting. What I have in there are a Hydor 15w mini heater ... a smaller sponge filter ... hamster tubing floating on the surface and placed on side/bottom ... and a floating silk plant. Problem is, while he's happy in the bucket (and that's what's most important for his well being) ... I didn't exactly envision displaying him in a bucket in my room, lol.

Any ideas for something that's less reflective? I've considered a Lg. or XL Kritter Keeper ... as it may prove a bit less reflective than glass and there's no light.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

kritter keepers work wonderful for boys that are nawty like yours!!!!!!!!!!! LOL @ the bucket..can see you showing him off now!!
    other things that work are tall big leafed silk plants on the walls..and believe it or not, putting the plastic backgrounds we use on the outside of tanks, on the inside...i know it sounds freaky, but I had a boy that i had to do that with..it had to be a solid color and i had to put it on with aquarium silicone..but it worked!!!!!!!!!!

gotta love the bettas...they give us as much trouble as our real kids minus the mouthyness sometimes ;D (or at least in my case!LOL)

good luck ccb!

3. ccb04 Well Known Member Member

Thanks, Shawnie.

The bucket is indeed comical ... but he's quite content in it. In the glass tanks, he took to flaring at me too, lol. In the bucket he'll swim up to the top, rest his head on a hamster tube and just stare at me as if to say I'm happy. He also likes wiggling with excitement at me from inside his hamster tubes when I look in on him.

I leaning towards giving the Kritter Keeper a try after I get his tail in order via water changes, Stress Coat/Fish Protector, Vita Chem, etc.

True about the real and finned kids, lol.

Well, atleast my Cons have taken well to their new glass home.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

they really make some good sized kritter keepers...;)

that is way too funny with the bucket..its like he is telling you "i told ya so dad!!" fish do crazy things to our minds ...sometimes i wonder whose boss :;dk

glad your boy is doing ok!!

great on the cons!!!!!!!! have you totally :;fru ya hair out yet with them? :giggle: now those fish really try to push the "whose the boss" strings! ..would love to see the setup when you get a chance!!! crazy fish :no2:

5. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

pardon my ignorance, but what are cons?

back to the betta boy ... i love them for their personalities! they're like little people in fish bodies. some are more flexible than others ;)

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Aww cc, I know you'd like to see more of your boy, but it sounds awefully cute. ;D
    I hope the Kritter Keeper works for you both.
    What's your bucket boy's name?

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

convicts, i think

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

cons= convict cichlids

:;laughing@ bucket boy....gosh these bettas really make us humans go nuts....

9. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

okay, thanks. :)

10. ccb04 Well Known Member Member

I think the XL Kritter Keeper is over 5g and that's the one I'd probably use.

Not pulling my hair out yet with the cons. I've really enjoyed these two so far. They seem to get along remarkably well ... no overly aggressive towards each other at all. They've begun to dig around, lol.

11. ccb04 Well Known Member Member

Lucy, I'd definitely like to see more of him, lol. He has such great coloration and looked amazing under the fluorescent light.

Bucket boy, LMAO. Actually, I have yet to name him.

12. ccb04 Well Known Member Member

Couldn't agree more about their personalities. That's one reason we all love them. That's also one reason I've really enjoyed my convict cichlids.

13. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Been there had this problem. The bucket idea does work! But not as a permanent solution. All advice sounds great! Hope he doesn't drive you too crazy! :)

14. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

How's he doing? Actually, I thought you had named him... Bucket Boy. LOL

15. COBettaCouple Fishlore Legend Member

Have you tried a desk lamp next to the tank? Often that can help cancel out reflections on the inside of the glass.