Betta Box?

EbiAqua
I have bettas at my shop but I hate keeping them in unfiltered, unheated 16oz cups. Currently they each have their own breeder net inside the tank but they get covered in algae easily and it is difficult to see the fish even when they are clean. What is a good way to keep the bettas in their own compartment (55g community tank) while still giving them ample space and filtration? It can be internal or external. Maximum capacity of 4 male bettas.

BottomDweller
You could divide the tank.

Or you could stick with breeder nets. Get double the amount you need and swap them out each week or so. Once the algae is dry it comes off nets pretty easily.

EbiAqua
You could divide the tank.

Or you could stick with breeder nets. Get double the amount you need and swap them out each week or so. Once the algae is dry it comes off nets pretty easily.

Can't divide the tank, it is being set up as a betta sorority. Should have specified that in the original post, my bad.

The breeder nets work but even when cleaned (we bleach them and then treat them in dechlorinater) the bettas are difficult to see. Also, with females in the tank, the mesh isn't a good idea.

I suppose I could just move the nets to another tank.

david1978
Just dump them in. Ok don't do that.

MWR
You could use these breeder boxes. They hang on the outside of the main tank and circulate the main tank water.
marina breeder box.jpg They have lids to keep fish from jumping out.

Fishbeard
You could use these breeder boxes. They hang on the outside of the main tank and circulate the main tank water.View attachment 462120 They have lids to keep fish from jumping out.

That definitely solves the problem! They come in a few different sizes too!

MWR
That definitely solves the problem! They come in a few different sizes too!
I use the large size - they come with two dividers. You have a choice of dividing into two or three spaces.

75g Discus Tank
You can make your own if you ave experience with glass cutting and silicone application,

aussieJJDude
You can make your own if you ave experience with glass cutting and silicone application,
Or slightly better, plexiglass (plastic), no seams so no chance for it to break... and a lot lighter than glass!

Fishbeard
Or slightly better, plexiglass (plastic), no seams so no chance for it to break... and a lot lighter than glass!

If you're going to build one out of plastic, you might as well stick with the breeder boxes...

aussieJJDude
If you're going to build one out of plastic, you might as well stick with the breeder boxes...
After a while, it will work out cheaper than buying the boxes... not to mention, you can customize the size, unlike the breeder box.

But imagine making it out of glass.. not only is it extremely heavy (and stress on the aquarium glass itself to support the box), but its prone to breaking (more likely than plastic).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
david1978
Replies
Views
Wendigoblue
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views