Betta Body Types

Edna

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm curious. I have seen a distinct difference in the bodies of some bettas. My white one and my blue one both have oval shaped bodies with no "belly", but my boyfriend's crown tail and my new white one have more of.... circle? Triangle? shaped bodies with pronounced bellies. (Also they seem to have more pointed faces and "grumpy" expressions. But that could just be my perception).
Are there different types of body shapes? Or is it like humans and it's the luck of the draw? Also, I do mean BODIES and not FINS.
The first two pictures are the smaller bodied fish. The second two are the "grumpy face" ones.
1560194028273.jpg
IMG_20190408_110512.jpg
IMG_20190729_210621.jpg
IMG_20190408_133900.jpg

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There isn't a categorization system for different types, but the body shape does vary from each betta. Some tail types are more known for a distinct body shape, such as the doubletail with a short body or crowntail females with a more chunky body.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, I've noticed this as well. Some bettas are lean and lanky and kind of worm-looking, others are chunkier and stockier. Some also have rounded heads; others have pointed grumpy-looking heads. Some also have bulgy eyes. Just more variation in a vastly variated fish!
My male black orchid is a bulgy-eyed grumpy face. I think that's the scientific term.

Edna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed this as well. Some bettas are lean and lanky and kind of worm-looking, others are chunkier and stockier. Some also have rounded heads; others have pointed grumpy-looking heads. Some also have bulgy eyes. Just more variation in a vastly variated fish!
My male black orchid is a bulgy-eyed grumpy face. I think that's the scientific term.
I like the scientific specifics of grumpy and buldgy

Thanks everyone!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom