Hey that rhymes
Poet, don't know it, my feet are "Longfellows" -- lol

avaladon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BettaNovice101 said:
I'm concerned that if you wait, you might be too late.
I know but I'm not sure if ill be able to do it correctly if I feel like I have to rush. I might be able to come home tuesday night to do it. I don't want to hurt him with salt by mistake and if I were to mess something up I'm not sure if I would have enough time to fix any problems

BettaNovice101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Will you mom help?

Nelly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anyone who sees this please go to the thread called something like: HELP!! Infected tetra or injury?? Please HELP!!! I really need help. If you know anything about aggressive bettas or columnaris please come and respond. I’m panicking. Also good luck with the Betta.

avaladon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BettaNovice101 said:
I'm concerned that if you wait, you might be too late. You put them in the bath, watch for him as he swims to make sure he can tolerate the Epsom salt, then hold him in there until he floats to his side, then remove him and put him either in a fresh dechlorinated water or back into his tank. Not sure about the details. I would suggest that you don't wait. He could be in kidney failure.
the other problem is I don't have epsom salt, only this I would have to go and buy some, is something like this good ?

avaladon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BettaNovice101 said:
Will you mom help?
my mom will be able to do basic care on him, she can do small water changed and keep a close eye on him but I'm not sure she would feel comfortable doing an epsom salt bath

BettaNovice101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No. That's why I warned you about "salt". That will make him hold water in his kidneys, the very thing you do Not Want! Epsom Salt draws fluid out. Ask your Mom if she will help.

Cearle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
avaladon said:
the other problem is I don't have epsom salt, only this I would have to go and buy some, is something like this good ?
You can get some at your local cvs, that’s where I got it.

BettaNovice101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She might if she only has to cup him, put him in a prepared very small container, and then cup him back out. (NOt with a net, using a cup -- it's easier, and also more gentle.) If you find the exact measurements and everything, you can help her do it by reading it to her and help her by staying on the phone with her. (you have a driver or you are driving yourself? Don't talk to her on the phone if you are the driver! :) --

BettaNovice101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are you in the US? or another country?

BettaNovice101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can just cup out a bit of his aquarium water into a small container, prepare the Epsom salt, and use another small container like a sandwich box or coffee cup or drinking glass and scoop him up and put him in the Epsom salt bath. Watch the clock and him, when he starts to drift to his side again, take him out and put him back in to his aquarium breeder bed.

BettaNovice101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yes, what you showed me. Make sure the Epsom Salt doesn't have any perfumes in it. Just cheap plain, drug-store (CVS like Cearle said) Epsom Salt. Comes in a bag like you saw.

avaladon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BettaNovice101 said:
yes, what you showed me. Make sure the Epsom Salt doesn't have any perfumes in it. Just cheap plain, drug-store (CVS like Cearle said) Epsom Salt. Comes in a bag like you saw.
yes I'm in the US, we just got some epsom salt! ill give it a try tonight before I go back

BettaNovice101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
do it soon. Let us know how he does.

avaladon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BettaNovice101 said:
do it soon. Let us know how he does.
Alright so I did it, I only did it for 5 minutes since ive never done it before and I didnt want to over do it. I think it went alright, ill try again on Wednesday for a slightly longer time, I have to go back to school now but my mom is going to pay close attention to him

BettaNovice101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's good. The rest is up to him and God. Safe return to school! Let us know how he does.

gabby98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
First of all, how is he doing now?

I would recommend getting your water tested, just to rule out any issues with the water itself. If your mom is pouring tap water straight into his tank, that could be a big problem. Do you use any water conditioners?

Also, how much is your mom feeding him? If Bettas are overfed, it can cause constipation and other problems that could affect his swimming. You may want to consider that he might have swim bladder: https://www.wideopenpets.com/learning-5-ws-swim-bladder-disease-fish/
(this could also be related to overfeeding)

Bettas stomach's are about the size of their eyeball... so keep that in mind with feeding. I feed mine 2-3 pellets a day.
If you do think it could be constipation, hold off on food for a day and monitor him.

And finally, one of my favorite products is API "stress coat."
It's a couple dollars at petsmart or a local pet store. This helps replace their slime coat, reduce stress & promote healing. When my Neon Tetras (and Betta) don't seem as active as normal or are swimming abnormally, I add 1/2 of a capful to my 10 gallon tank. They usually respond pretty immediately and start swimming more normally.

These are just my suggestions as I've cared for my Betta and 5 neons.
I hope he feels better. Let us know how he is doing!

avaladon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
gabby98 said:
First of all, how is he doing now?

I would recommend getting your water tested, just to rule out any issues with the water itself. If your mom is pouring tap water straight into his tank, that could be a big problem. Do you use any water conditioners?

Also, how much is your mom feeding him? If Bettas are overfed, it can cause constipation and other problems that could affect his swimming. You may want to consider that he might have swim bladder: https://www.wideopenpets.com/learning-5-ws-swim-bladder-disease-fish/
(this could also be related to overfeeding)

Bettas stomach's are about the size of their eyeball... so keep that in mind with feeding. I feed mine 2-3 pellets a day.
If you do think it could be constipation, hold off on food for a day and monitor him.

And finally, one of my favorite products is API "stress coat."
It's a couple dollars at petsmart or a local pet store. This helps replace their slime coat, reduce stress & promote healing. When my Neon Tetras (and Betta) don't seem as active as normal or are swimming abnormally, I add 1/2 of a capful to my 10 gallon tank. They usually respond pretty immediately and start swimming more normally.

These are just my suggestions as I've cared for my Betta and 5 neons.
I hope he feels better. Let us know how he is doing!
I did a water test, ammonia was between 0-.25, nitrite was 0 and nitrate was about 10ppm, and I made sure my mom doesn't feed to much! I usually feed about the same, or ill do 1-2 frozen blood worms. I usually use prime, but my mom has been using some of that "betta water" because its a bit easier for her, I added a few drops of prime to it before I left though. He hasnt been very interested in food the past day though

avaladon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BettaNovice101 said:
That's good. The rest is up to him and God. Safe return to school! Let us know how he does.
Thank you so much for all the help!!

avaladon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am back home now! Hes still looking about the same, I'm going to do a good water change, any tips on how to do it with him in the breeder box?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads