Betta, Bloated and lethargic over night

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Fiddlefish, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Fiddlefish

Fiddlefish Valued Member Member

Hello,
    Right now my betta is hanging out in a corner at the bottom of the tank. She's pretty bloated. It looks like she got a hold of my BN pleco's cucumber. She's been trying to pass cucumber (it looks like) all morning.
    She is in a 10 gallon tank with 7 neon tetras, a ghost shrimp and a 1 1/2 inch Bristlenose. I know that's really overstocked. Their 20g started leaking and the stand was damaged so I had to move them all. I haven't been able to buy a new tank/stand yet. I'm hopefully going to buy one next week.
    Soooo, what should I do? Is she acting this way because she ate too much? I did a water change just now. And I'll be fasting everyone.
    I know this sounds really stupid, sorry. I don't want to lose her.

2. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

since it sounds like this is a temporary set up i'll spare you the stocking lecture and all that etc.
    do you know what your parameters are? just in case she might have a swim bladder issue. otherwise my girl is always bloated because she is such a piggy. if she is stuck on her side or having problems swimming, feed her some peas. if the only symptom is a big belly, then fasting for a day should help. i think peas will also still help if she's constipated.

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with the above poster. If she's constipated, peas are a natural fish laxative. Also, some pictures would help, some from all angles. And yeah, water parameters will also be helpful. What test kit do you use?

4. OP
    OP
    Fiddlefish

Water Parameters: (API Master test kit)
    Ph: 8.2ish
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: somewhere near 10-20

She was acting fine yesterday. Today she's sitting, upright, not sideways, on the ground. She can make it to the surface for air. Then she goes back and sits near the ground. She doesn't sink or go sideways.
    I'll get a picture of her a.s.a.p...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  5. kidster9700

yeah, i would definitely get her a pea. i forgot exactly what the instructions for preparing them are, but its something like peeling it and heating it up.
    to me, she just looks constipated. i think she will be fine.

6. OP
    OP
    Fiddlefish

Okay I will try that. Would it be a good idea to fast her a day or so, then feed her the pea?

7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Yes, I would fast her for 24 hours & then feed the deshelled pea

8. OP
    OP
    Fiddlefish

Today she's back to her normal self again :D:;banaman:D:;bananapurple:;pickle

9. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

That's wonderful!!! Congrats! :D :D :D

10. kidster9700

Awesome! I would still feed her a pea just to make sure, but glad to hear she's happy and healthy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. OP
    OP
    Fiddlefish

Okay :D Thanks! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice