Betta bioload and cycle

jhigg008

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a betta in a 10 gal that was cycled. I did a 20% water change on sunday and I am still seeing ammonia at .25ppm (my tap water is about 1 ppm to begin with). It seems like the BB should have converted this all by now. I did recently remove a spare piece of biosponge from the 10 gal to cycle a 29 gal...so maybe a minicycle? But also I was wondering how the BB colony stays alive with just one betta in the tank. Does it produce enough ammonia daily to support the BB? Stupid question I know because people keep Bettas in 10 gals, but just trying to understand.

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you use prime when you do water changes? It could simply be left overs from your tap. Could also be due to over feeding. A betta's bioload by itself is pretty small in a ten gallon.

OP
jhigg008

jhigg008

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do use Prime. I only feed once a day 2-3 little betta floating pellets.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you're seeing the ammonia reading after removing the piece of sponge, you're probably correct that you hit a minI cycle. Just keep dosing with Prime until your your bacteria colonizes enough to support the ammonia.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The BB grow exactly enough to support the ammonia that's put out so even if its a very small amount like a betta there will still be a viable cycling (albeit small) going on.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom