Betta Belly

Andreamary1292

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m looking for advice for my Betta’s bloated belly. I’ve had him for 2 years, he lives in a heated, filtered 1.5 gallon tank. I use tap water cleanser, silk plants, and feed him several small pellets daily. The tank water is changed about every 2 weeks. He is usually active when I approach the tank. He’s been laying on the plants close to the top of the tank. I noticed yesterday that he has two ball-like bumps on each of his sides. A noticeable decrease in energy and not getting excited when I come to tank. I haven’t fed him since I noticed the bumps. I tried feeding him a mashed, peeled pea and he was uninterested. How long can he go without eating and any suggestions on how to get him better. I love this little guy, his name is Clementine and I have a picture of the bumps if that helps
Thank you!

WhatsUpGuys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have no idea what the bumps could be, but I can tell you that bettas will be fine without food for weeks (if they’re well fed beforehand). Hope someone has a better answer for you

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Andreamary1292 said:
That does not look good at all. In fact that looks very bad. It does not look like a bloat but an intestional parasite. I'd look for any other symptoms and see what treatment can be done. Unless maybe it's a tumor on the inside. A tumor on the outside you could try to remove but on the inside.. : ( by the way, 1.5 is too small for beneifical bacteria that break down harmful bacteria for betta's to establish a colony so I'd upgrade to minimum of 2.5. A 3 would be fine if you could. Anyways, if it is bloat, give him a deshelled pea and do not feed him anything else for 3 days to help if it is bloat. Hopefully it's a easy fix: )

Andreamary1292

Reaction score
WhatsUpGuys said:
I have no idea what the bumps could be, but I can tell you that bettas will be fine without food for weeks (if they’re well fed beforehand). Hope someone has a better answer for you
Thank you!

Andreamary1292

Reaction score
BettaNation said:
That does not look good at all. In fact that looks very bad. It does not look like a bloat but an intestional parasite. I'd look for any other symptoms and see what treatment can be done. Unless maybe it's a tumor on the inside. A tumor on the outside you could try to remove but on the inside.. : ( by the way, 1.5 is too small for beneifical bacteria that break down harmful bacteria for betta's to establish a colony so I'd upgrade to minimum of 2.5. A 3 would be fine if you could. Anyways, if it is bloat, give him a deshelled pea and do not feed him anything else for 3 days to help if it is bloat. Hopefully it's a easy fix: )
He’s not eating the peas. Is there anything I can do about the intestinal parasite if that’s the case? If all goes well i will upgrade his tank, thanks for your response.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Andreamary1292 said:
He’s not eating the peas. Is there anything I can do about the intestinal parasite if that’s the case? If all goes well i will upgrade his tank, thanks for your response.
While internal parasites are usually much harder to treat than external like ich, I'm sure it's possible and I've heard of it. Firstly, I'm not 100% sure if it is as it's harder to detect so look for more symptons, even if it's like anything different no matter how small the difference. Med wise, I'd wait and if more symptoms appear, then list them and try to identify to best of your ability what the parasite is then that allows treatment to be specific and more effective. Firstly I'd raise temperature to around 81, I'd add stress coat to daily water changes and an almond leaf and salt ( highly debated but I've never seen Ill effects) and yes upgrade your tank to a bigger size. But let that tank cycle so you'll have to keep your betta in the tank he's in for now. Firstly it's about making whatever is bothering your betta, conditions unoptimal for it ( if it's a parasite of any kind) then treatment will be easier. But I'd be wary cause some medicine can damage the betta with use so that's why I suggest waiting before diving into medicine. Hopefully it's not a parasite and a tank upgrade will be the solution

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom