Betta Behavior Seems Odd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savanna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I currently have, and previously have had, a number of Bettas, both male and female. However my Crown Tail Betta Male is exhibiting behavior I havent seen before.
First I caught him laying nearly on his side down on the gravel under a plant. He wouldn't move until I went after him gently with a net.
Then shortly after, I watched him squeeze himself in between rows of a short, fake plastic bush I use for shrimp cover, and he just stayed there for quite a while. He was wedged in.
All of my water parameters are optimal. He's in a 20 gallon tank with a good Hob filter and a heater, as well as a bubble wall. He has many live plants and caves to hide in or around. Otherwise he seems healthy, eating and swimming normally, breathing at a normal pace with no discoloration or physically viewable parasites or illness.
I'm worried he is going to get himself stuck or damage his fins or that he may be getting sick. Is this kind of behavior natural, or should I be worried about it?

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I currently have, and previously have had, a number of Bettas, both male and female. However my Crown Tail Betta Male is exhibiting behavior I havent seen before.
First I caught him laying nearly on his side down on the gravel under a plant. He wouldn't move until I went after him gently with a net.
Then shortly after, I watched him squeeze himself in between rows of a short, fake plastic bush I use for shrimp cover, and he just stayed there for quite a while. He was wedged in.
All of my water parameters are optimal. He's in a 20 gallon tank with a good Hob filter and a heater, as well as a bubble wall. He has many live plants and caves to hide in or around. Otherwise he seems healthy, eating and swimming normally, breathing at a normal pace with no discoloration or physically viewable parasites or illness.
I'm worried he is going to get himself stuck or damage his fins or that he may be getting sick. Is this kind of behavior natural, or should I be worried about it?
its natural for bettas to act like this. some are just troublemakers that love to get into everything and explore everywhere in the tank. although i wouldnt keep that plastic plant in, i would replace it with a silk plant

you should see the kind of positions i find my betta in lol

Last edited by a moderator:

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
haha yes they are sort of like cats in that way, if they fit (or barely fits) they sit

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
5af66d0bc7269e9ba7faf58ebabcb203.jpg

When I used to have these plants he got stuck like this and didn't even try to get out lol I had to physically put my hand around him for him to swim out lol then he stared at me with a "really?" look.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mine just loves sitting on the filter intake >.>

although he does this amazing scream face lol he will swim along the front of the tank while make scream faces every once in a while

Last edited by a moderator:

Savanna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh good, I thought he was ill or insane!
I have many live and silk plants of various sizes. He picked the only plant in the aquarium that is tiny and closely rowed plastic. I just had it in there for my shrimps but I recently got a shrimp cave so it can come out now. He likes hanging out in the little mason jar in there too, but I've never seen him "lay down" on the bottom, only on plant leafs, and not quite so...comfortably? Nor have I seen him just jam and wedge himself into anything. I've had him about a month so I guess he's decided that now he's going to go spelunking or something lol.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh good, I thought he was ill or insane!
I have many live and silk plants of various sizes. He picked the only plant in the aquarium that is tiny and closely rowed plastic. I just had it in there for my shrimps but I recently got a shrimp cave so it can come out now. He likes hanging out in the little mason jar in there too, but I've never seen him "lay down" on the bottom, only on plant leafs, and not quite so...comfortably? Nor have I seen him just jam and wedge himself into anything. I've had him about a month so I guess he's decided that now he's going to go spelunking or something lol.
yeah they sit in the weirdest places that dont seem comfy lol

Savanna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have also caught mine wedged between my breeder net and the tank. Fortunately my net sits a bit away from the tank, but it doesn't look comfortable. He swims freely behind it and can come and go as he pleases but it just vexes me. He has all of these lovely plants, live and silk, these ornaments and caves and so on, and is spending his time in the most difficult, uncomfortable looking places he can find! Like dude why have I bothered making your environment the best I can and beautiful and spacious and full of lovely hiding and resting spaces when you're just gonna spend time in places that look like they'd fail to house a shrimp, let alone your big booty. Oy. Well at least he's enjoying himself I guess LOL.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I first started my sorority one morning I turned the lights on and they were stuffed in the plants. I was oh no their all dead. The one castle I had to drill the hole bigger because they grew a little and were struggling to get threw it. There is a much bigger opening right next to it. Lol. Goofy fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom