Betta bath for fin rot?

CHIMERA

Hey guys,
My betta Beau has been chewing on his tail for a while now and has unfortunately caught a fungal infection on it. His tail is eaten off quite a bit, maybe less than a centimeter on the top part of his tail.
Now the problem I need advice on is that I want to do short dips/baths in a tupper with API fungus cure to help with the rot since I have a planted established 20 gallon tank with shrimp that I do not want to risk killing or throwing off balance by just chucking meds in.
However I'm doubting whether it'll be effective enough or if there'll be a problem of me stressing him out everyday to do these med baths.
(Also going to be doing regular 50% water changes)
Have anybody had experience treating fin rot with baths?
Any advice or input would help as I don't have many resources other than API fungus cure for fin rot.
20 gallon tall 1 year old tank
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm
Heavily planted with red cherry shrimp and my solo betta splendens

20191230_162427.jpg

CHIMERA

I also do weekly to every other week 50% water changes

Sien

If he is losing his tail from biting it, then it is not fin rot. Sounds like you keep your tank well maintained! I would just quarantine him and treat for the fungal infection. Not fin rot since he doesn't technically have fin rot, just an infection from an open wound. I don't think you need to do baths for this. Do you have an extra 5 gallon tank or anything? I would use that as a hospital tank for now (Or grab one from Petco, $/gallon sale is going on rn and you can get a 5 gallon for $5). Then treat with something like API fungus cure. Make sure you have a heater in that hospital tank.

CHIMERA

Nope no quarantine and also very broke. Mostly why I'm considering doing the dip instead.
I do have a 10 gallon lying around but its very dirty and I suffer from chronic pain so cleaning it out and setting it up will cost me a limb. I also have no other functioning heaters.

Sien

Can you send a more clear pic of the fungal infection?

CHIMERA

Nope cause my phone won't focus but I know for sure its a fungal infection because his bottom part of his tail has a small bit of white fuzz on the bitten/ripped ends.

Sien

Nope cause my phone won't focus but I know for sure its a fungal infection because his bottom part of his tail has a small bit of white fuzz on the bitten/ripped ends.
Okay I would not use the API fungus cure as a bath. I do not think it is made to be used that way. If you want to do a bath, do an AQ salt bath. This will help with the fungus and can help with his torn fins. I can tell you how to do the AQ salt bath if you are interested in that method.

CHIMERA

Okay I would not use the API fungus cure as a bath. I do not think it is made to be used that way. If you want to do a bath, do an AQ salt bath. This will help with the fungus and can help with his torn fins. I can tell you how to do the AQ salt bath if you are interested in that method.
Yes please~

Sien

For the AQ salt baths I fill a container with a half gallon of water, de-chlorinate, and add 1 teaspoon of salt, mix well. Make sure the water matches your tank temp. Scoop your fish out (I use an old betta cup) and put him in the bath, no need to acclimate. Leave him and supervise for 15 min, sometimes they might fin clamp for a bit. If you notice severe signs of stress remove him immediately (this would be floating on his side, floating upside down, etc). If this is the case you can try a half-3/4 teaspoon of salt and leave him in the bath for 20 min. When putting him back in the tank, scoop him out and try to add the least amount of salt bath to your actual tank. Dump the water and do not re use for future baths. You can do this bath up to 3 times a day but give her a couple hours between. I would personally do 2 baths a day, one in the morning and one at night. Do you have AQ salt on hand? You can get a small container of API Aquarium Salt for cheap. I prefer this bath method over dips or a higher dosage of salt. Some people will recommend a tablespoon of salt/gallon but that is a lot IMO.

CHIMERA

For the AQ salt baths I fill a container with a half gallon of water, de-chlorinate, and add 1 teaspoon of salt, mix well. Make sure the water matches your tank temp. Scoop your fish out (I use an old betta cup) and put him in the bath, no need to acclimate. Leave him and supervise for 15 min, sometimes they might fin clamp for a bit. If you notice severe signs of stress remove him immediately (this would be floating on his side, floating upside down, etc). If this is the case you can try a half-3/4 teaspoon of salt and leave him in the bath for 20 min. When putting him back in the tank, scoop him out and try to add the least amount of salt bath to your actual tank. Dump the water and do not re use for future baths. You can do this bath up to 3 times a day but give her a couple hours between. I would personally do 2 baths a day, one in the morning and one at night. Do you have AQ salt on hand? You can get a small container of API Aquarium Salt for cheap. I prefer this bath method over dips or a higher dosage of salt. Some people will recommend a tablespoon of salt/gallon but that is a lot IMO.
I don't have a .5 gal tupper so I'm using a quart tupper full of half tank water and fresh dechlorinated water with a half teaspoon of AQ salt dissolved. I used a small 1/4 cup scoop to swiftly transport him from the top of the tank into the container.
He seems to be fine, minimal clamping but generally fine. I set a timer for 15 mins and I'll probably do this twice a day.
How long into the healing process does the fuzz typically disappear?

CHIMERA

Beau chillin at the bottom of his tank.
20191230_190957.jpg

Sien

I don't have a .5 gal tupper so I'm using a quart tupper full of half tank water and fresh dechlorinated water with a half teaspoon of AQ salt dissolved. I used a small 1/4 cup scoop to swiftly transport him from the top of the tank into the container.
He seems to be fine, minimal clamping but generally fine. I set a timer for 15 mins and I'll probably do this twice a day.
How long into the healing process does the fuzz typically disappear?
Sounds good, but you should you fresh/clean water, not water from the tank. Make sure the salt is also fully dissolved and to de-chlorinate it as you would with any tank water. Minimal clamping is normal and probably means he will handle future baths just fine. I was not able to see a photo so it really depends on how bad the fungal infection is. It could take 2 weeks+, especially since it is only being treated with salt and not meds. Do you only have shrimp in the tank with him? Keep an eye on other fish you have in the tank for now, make sure they are acting normal and healthy too. The AQ salt will also help with the damaged fins. Salt can negatively impact their slime coat so think about adding API stress coat to the main tank for now to help with that (doubly check that is shrimp safe).

Sien

20191230_190957.jpg
Fungal infection doesn't look too bad, I only see a tiny bit of white. Have you had an ammonia spike recently/have you been on top of water changes? I would do water changes 2x a week on that tank to help along the healing process. Water changes 2x a week also won't hurt the shrimp. I am not good at telling the difference in fin rot vs. tail biting. But I take your word this is tail biting. Regardless, clean water and the salt baths should heal him up.

CHIMERA

Fungal infection doesn't look too bad, I only see a tiny bit of white. Have you had an ammonia spike recently/have you been on top of water changes? I would do water changes 2x a week on that tank to help along the healing process. Water changes 2x a week also won't hurt the shrimp. I am not good at telling the difference in fin rot vs. tail biting. But I take your word this is tail biting. Regardless, clean water and the salt baths should heal him up.
Got it, next time I'll do all fresh water. I'm a little paranoid about not acclimating enough or shock which I wanted to use a little tank water. No ammonia spike that I'm aware of and I've lately haven't skipped a week in a while. I usually feed him hikarI micropellets but I occasionally give him thawed frozen bloodworms.
He has no fish tank mates right now, only cherry shrimp. Beau used to have a bunch of cory friends but they all passed away several months ago.

Sien

Got it, next time I'll do all fresh water. I'm a little paranoid about not acclimating enough or shock which I wanted to use a little tank water. No ammonia spike that I'm aware of and I've lately haven't skipped a week in a while. I usually feed him hikarI micropellets but I occasionally give him thawed frozen bloodworms.
He has no fish tank mates right now, only cherry shrimp. Beau used to have a bunch of cory friends but they all passed away several months ago.
I have always used freshwater the same temp, but I also know my tap parameters are the same as my tank and never had a problem. However, that is just my experience. If you are paranoid go ahead and do all tank water or 50/50 tank and fresh. Totally up to you.

Brittany Rismiller

20191230_190957.jpg
He's beautiful! I hope he's getting better

CHIMERA

He's beautiful! I hope he's getting better
Thank you~ I hope he gets better too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics